taps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi the hot water tap in my bath has suddenly gone really stiff.... for a while it let a dribble of water out, but now nothing - i can\\\'t turn it at all.

My boiler is very tempermental and i had a similar temporary problem with kitchen hot tap.

do you think it is the tap itself or the boiler?!

thanks for any advice -I\\\'m just a girl!

Sponsored Links
Highly unlikely to be the boiler.

If you have hot water in your kitchen and bathroom sink, then you can assume your boiler is working ok.

Can't you get someone to undo and check ( or change) the bath tap for you?

might just want cleaning, and new washer, did mine at week end (sink tap not bath) very expensive though................................................................................................................................... 99p for 4 washers (2 sizes)

"i can\\\'t turn it at all. "

So far I haven't known a boiler stop a tap turning... Tap needs dismantling and greasing, and a new washer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies! Is cleaning/dismantling/replacing/looking at a tap something I could do myself (if I had the brains) or do I need a man?!

Well luv,
I may have to turn of your water , so you may want to get the kettle on first, - only one sugar for me,

oh and just sign Me time sheet here ~ points to the dotted line~
just to say I was here at 11.00am.
its just that the company likes me to record where i am for insurance reasons"

~looks down at the tap and shakes his head mutting and drawing in a short sharp breath.~ "ssssssssssssss - this could be expensive love, - got any biccies to go with the tea? "

______________________________________________________-

Ok, you have to find out firstly if you have an isolator running up to the offending tap.
( An isolator, turns off the water supply to that tap. - they can be many shapes and designs. but, [ wished I could post a pic here to show you typcal examples].. some may just look like little red arrows ontop of a silver valve some are buttons, some are windy wheel thingies)

If you can't see where to isolate, then you need to drain off your hot water tank. ( I know you wont be able to open the bath tap to do it - but you can open any other hot water taps)

First. you have to turn off your COLD water supply where it comes into your house. ( that's because, when you empty your hot water tank, the cold water will just keep refilling it. ad infintum)

and, you MUST turn off your boiler.
( That's because there will be no water in the hot tank )

ok so far?
Recap:

Turn off boiler
Turn off cold supply (where it comes into the house)
Open hot taps.

(While the hot water is draining from the tank. you could check if there's still enough water in the kettle....... - one sugar for me)

now you're ready to undo the tap....

since when has the hot water cylinder drained empty because you have dumped the cold tank.

please never change my tank heater.

oh you cant anyway cos ive got a combi. :LOL:

purple if you really havnt a clue get someone in to do it it will save you in the long run.
taps can be a real pain to dismantle if you havnt got decent tools.

wow thanks for all your help! unfortunately i soon realised that I do in fact need a man in as I lost you almost immediately! or maybe ill just continue filling the bath via the sink.... thanks again. i knew id find a use for a man one day :p

taydo>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

since when has the hot water cylinder drained empty because you have dumped the cold tank.

First. you have to turn off your COLD water supply where it comes into your house. ( that's because, when you empty your hot water tank, the cold water will just keep refilling it. ad infintum)

Ok. you have a cold water tank? I dont.. My cold feeds direct into the hot -thereby replacing any hot water that has been used and waiting for it to be heated by the heat exchanger.

~shrugs~

Do people still carry out routine tap maintenance?....I just fit new taps unless they are something really fancy.

i quite often get asked to fix bath/sink taps cause they wont open,its only the valve inside the tap thats worked itself to close over the period of time.about 10 min job. be handy to know where you live,i could help u out.
cookie 5

Hi - I've got a similar problem but with my cold tap in the bathroom. Its a mixer shower fitting (from the mains). I dismantled the tap, but the washers & thread both look fine. Have reassembled but water just dribbles out (as it if is going to run out). Any ideas ? Hot water is fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back