Lucky Escape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got called to a house today by a customer who said her shower stopped working about a week ago, and yesterday she heard a bang and some fizzing in the bathroom.

This is what I found under a floorboard:

IMGP1012.jpg

It is a white sheathed 6.0mm² T&E cable, which was sat in a notch in the top of a joist with a nail through it. The joist and floorboard were charred, and the live, earth and all but three strands of the neutral have vaporised.

It was fed from a non RCD circuit with a 45A rewireable fuse which had not blown, so the cable was still live when I arrived. :eek:

The customer had been stood on the the floor with wet, bare feet after a bath.

Maybe her week for the lottery?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Where do you get 20cm rulers? Oh, you didn't you nicked it off Rob! ;)

RF Lighting said:
I am Rob.

I get very territorial about my stationery

:LOL: :LOL:

I know money can be tight but surely you can afford the other 100mm :LOL:

Nice one, RF, that's almost exactly the state of the 1.5 sq mm cable I discovered powering a 8.5kW shower recently.

Do you think (along with the almost complete lack of domestic earthing) it's a Leeds thing?

No it`s not a Leeds thing, a northish thing perhaps (I`m in Lancashire about an hours drive to Leeds ) , we see such things all the time along with old chestnuts like cables stuuffed hard pressed into pipe notches and trapped under boards.
If every bad practice that could cause injury actualy did so then we`d have millions killed each week here.

Makes you wonder. Maybe YE just couldn't be bothered when electric came out ;)

This one actually had main & supplementary bonding, but there does seem to be a lack of earthing round here.

Hi, RF.

Excellent picture!!

Could I use that in my presentations?

If so, if you would be so kind as to give your permission, that would be great!

You can have the bit of cable if you like :D

Help your self to the picture.

I can email you a bigger version if you want. My address is in my profile.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back