What Central Heating to install - low mains pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there :

I want to install central heating in a 4 bed home that sits on top of a hill. I've been told that because the mains pressure is so poor that a combi boiler is out of the question.

Is this correct - are there no solutions to the problem.

Can't I install a pump to generate pressure into the boiler (sorry if that's mad, bad or dangerous) please advise.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
What I have been reading about combis is that they are not suitable if you will be drawing a lot of water. I would imagine a 4bed house may have more occupants & require a storage tank.

Look up the requirements for different boilers ie flow rate and pressure Click this for Example boiler literature
As an example page 8 says
Min Operating Pressure
at 13.2 l/min = 0.96 bar
I would assume that the max rate of 14.1 l/min would apply to the other minimum pressure stated as 0.2bar

The message there is that its about flow rate and pressure

Can't I install a pump to generate pressure into the boiler (sorry if that's mad, bad or dangerous)
No !

Its mad Its bad and its Dangerous

Well ok it might just be against the water bye-laws

AFAIK the only time you can do that is if you have your own private water supply from a borehole

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back