Moving a wall socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move a wall socket about 1metre on to another wall but the cable into the socket isn't long enough. What is the safest way to join a peice of cable. I've bought a "Flex Connector 3 core 13 amp" which seems to allow me to join the 3 wires from both cables. The connector would be placed under the floor boards because that's where I've had to
join the cables.

Am I doing anything dodgy?

cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes, you say that's a flex connector but you are not joining flex.

Also you propose putting the connector out of sight under the floor.

You have to use a connection suitable for T&E. Crimps, with heat-shrink sleeving, will do it. A Connector Block in an enclosure will do provided that it is in sight, since it has screw terminals that need to be inspected and tightened occasionally.

Alternatively you can trace the cable back to its source and fit a longer piece.

Thanks very much. If I go with the connector block under the floor board, it can be accessed fairly easily by unscrewing a piece of floor board. Does that sound ok or am I breaching any laws/safety laws?

as far as i know its a grey area what is accessable and what isnt, but if you use a connector block make sure its of high enogh rating for the ring main or better to use a junction box (again high enough rating). but still the best way (without replacing the cable)is properly crimped and sleaved connections (use quality ratchet crimpers like these

Sponsored Links
Desl, you seem to be suggesting a junction box, out of sight and inaccessible. That isn't right, is it?

under floorboards is not accessible. Think about it, even though right now you have carpet, and it can be easily lifted and replaced for access, what happens in a few years when you fit a wooden floor such as laminate?

Laminate isn't easily lifted, and when you do, it needs renewing. So the junction box underneath is no longer accessible. So it is not acceptable to have any electrical joints under the floorboards. Laminate or not.

OK I the missed point here I thought original poster was going to use terminal block to extend cct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back