Refitting a bath - tools and hints!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I am going to attempt to refit my bath. After 6 no shows by 4 plumbers in the last 3 months I have no option. But i need a few tips.

I have a double ended bath with a mixer tap. The nut on the side of the hot tap leaks (I think) and the overflow/pop up waste control moves about and leaks too.

The plan is to remove the bath fix the leaks, fit flexible tap connectors and put it back.

I have no tools or experience so if anyone could give me an idea of what i need so i can pop to my local DIY store.

How do i disconnect the waste and what do i use? Will the plastic connection loosen by hand and if not what tool will i need. I'm concious that it's plastic and i don't want to damage it

The taps are connected by copper pipe. What do i use to disconnect the pipe and is it easier just to cut the pipes since i'm fitting flexible connectors?

How do i stop the overflow from moving and leaking?

And finally how do I fit the flexible connectors?

Any avice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
How do i stop the overflow from moving and leaking?

The shiny bit on the inside of the bath screws into a plastic part on the outside, which has a pipe leading to the trap.

If you give the inside part a bit of a turn, it will probably screw more tightly. Being tight should squash the washer to stop it leaking, and being tight it should stop moving.

If the screw threads are worn out or broken you can buy and fit a new one. The waste usually comes as a complete assembly. You do not need to remove the bath to do this, just take off the panel and have a look with a torch, I think you'll see what I mean.

pop up waste control moves about and leaks too.

"They all do that sir."
Consider using a plug and chain. Or get into the habit of servicing and reasealing it every year until you die.

Cool! Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.
With the bath being double ended the overflow is against the back wall in the most inaccessible part of the bath! Thats why I have to take it out.
I also think the hole for the overflow is too large because it moves side to side alot, hopefully tightening it will do the trick. How do i tighten it though? It's one of those things than turn to let the pop up waste up and down, can this be removed and how?

You will probably find that the waste knob has a hole it it (hopfully out of sight at the bottom for neatness) inside which is a grubscrew that holds the knob on to a spindle. It may have a slot-headed screw or a posidrive. It is almost impossible to see it.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone else offer any other advice? is it worth investing in a basin wrench or will an adjustable spanner be ok?

How do i disconnect the waste and what do i use?

The taps are connected by copper pipe. What do i use to disconnect the pipe and is it easier just to cut the pipes since i'm fitting flexible connectors?

Finally how do I fit the flexible connectors?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back