overflow connector pipe leaks/comes loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just installed a new bath and when I drain the bath the overflow connector pipe slightly leaks. Having then tried to tight it, the connector pipe came loose. I've tried reconnecting it a few times and it always seems to come loose or isnt tight enough to stop leaking.

There's a couple of parts on the connection:

d7blxw6.jpg

I'm fairly sure I assemble it correctly - rigid connector insert into flexible pipe (I assume to ensure it maintains shape), then the rubber washer over the top and then screwed onto the main overflow. Do these parts need to have sealant applied? Can I solvent weld then plastic insert to the flexible pipe to stop it moving?

Sponsored Links
Cheap components? Sounds like you are assembling correctly, rigid into flexi, then washers and nut on rigid piece to connect to outlet. Doubt you'll solvent weld it, its probably polypropylene which wont solvent weld.

If you cant get it to seal I'd be inclined to throw it in the bin and get a McAlpine kit.

Thanks - I've tried it again just now and will see if it leaks again. Otherwise I guess I'll be swapping it out for something a bit better.

Sponsored Links
Cheap components? Sounds like you are assembling correctly, rigid into flexi, then washers and nut on rigid piece to connect to outlet. Doubt you'll solvent weld it, its probably polypropylene which wont solvent weld.

If you cant get it to seal I'd be inclined to throw it in the bin and get a McAlpine kit.

Thanks for your help on this, I bought a McAlpine part and it fitted fine first time with no leaks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back