Dulux Trade Vinyl matt patchy ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have been paining my Ceiling in Trade vinyl matt, Brill White.....I have noticed that it looks patchy even after 3 coats, I have added around 10-20% water as you guys will no its very thick.. Im using a short pile poly roller, the finish is nice....... but just patchy.

I think it may be the way im doing it? I have been putting it on wet in a w then rollering and then starting again with the next and just overlapping the wet edge, keeping the roller front to back of the room in the same direction, what size area should I be doing...? the length of the room then move across, or just a few metres and more across.

Please advise

Darren

Sponsored Links
hi darren

Dulux Trade Matt is a professional product made for the decorator and as such tends to be harder to apply and, as you found out, very thick. I would not advocate watering this down unless you are mistcoating. It is a paint I personally have never had a problem with. whilst it is drying it will look very patchy. Is this what you are seeing. If not then put a couple of full coats on with a decent, not cheap throw away, short/medium pile roller and leave to dry thoroughly between coats. Work at a tempo and area size that you feel comfortable with and keep a wet edge. The problem is not with the paint but more likely the way you are rolling. make sure that you have enough paint on the roller, don't skimp with it and don't keep going back over yourself and over rolling while its drying. Hope that helps.

Thank you, yes it looks like im over rolling....and its going on to dry.....even when it is dry its patchy..... some have said water it 10% even the final coat.

I also think Im doing wrong as I should maybe cut half the length of a wall in, then do like 2 metre squares...I was cutting a wall in then doing long passes the full length of the room, so when coming back it was alittle dry....

what you are saying is start in a corner, and do like 2 metres x 2 metres square then move across, but when I have done this will the front edge not be dry.... im not to sure about the pattern as you can see..

Any advise welcome.

Darren

hi darren, yep you are overrolling and not putting enough paint on and your quote about going the whole length of the room confirms ths more or less. It will take up to much time and space to write out a step by step guide so go to

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/templ...ice/common/howtos/interiorpainting/main08.jsp

I dont very often advocate the use of the sheds but I have read through the guide and it more or less covers your problem from a DIY point of view. Others will have different methods I know butthis wil give you start. Good luck

Sponsored Links
ok full length in zig zag........ 2ft bands and move across....

I still find this paint looks dry in places, after another bash today... even when it has dried.

I also found it was grabbing.... Im using a decent poly short pile from the ICI Dulux shop.

Still looking patchy though...

grrrrrr what next...its driving me mad!

helpppppppppppppp

Darren

Hi Darren, if its grabbing then I think you are just too slow with your rolling,
and I don't mean that in a nasty way, :) fraid you need to speed up. Failing that get a friendly out of work deccy to do that prob ceiling for you and then you can see how he does it and how quick and pick up some tips. Its hard to give you any more help without seeing what you are doing and how.

I have looked at it again this morning and its still a little patchy... I think I should try to give it another, and try going in the direction that the link you sent me said, across the main window 2 foor strips... you are the first person who has said not to thin it down 10-15% the stuff is so thick....

Ill give it another bash....I have work lights in there a few tube lights and a 150w bulb.... and all the lights have been removed for the plastering.

What lighting do pro`s use? Matt white is a bugger.

Darren

Nobody can really tell without seeing this but it could be...the edges of the roller causing the problem or lighting or this may be a case of the paint is the problem for the job you're doing i.e the vinyl is causing it.

Just done a large ceiling with Leyland Vinyl matt and it's perfect, some folk slag Leyland off but it's pretty good really. The thing about Leyland V.matt is there's not much vinyl in it therefore it doesn't give you a patchy problem.

Maybe a contract matt would be better for you because that hasn't got any vinyl in it.

Damn sight cheaper too ;)

Me thinks your problem "darren7" is by you using a short pile roller. Also, "spice" the thing about sealing with PVA is, i have never read on any PVA makers instructions that they write that PVA can be used in an painting process.

but the short pile looks fine on the walls? and the whole house was skimmed at the same time? I wanted a really flat finish, and the walls look fine!

will a med pile look that diff?

ggggggrrrrrrrrrr

what is a short pile for? my ceiling is realy nie and flat..... and the roller is new.

Darrren

darren7 said:
but the short pile looks fine on the walls? and the whole house was skimmed at the same time? I wanted a really flat finish, and the walls look fine!

will a med pile look that diff?

ggggggrrrrrrrrrr

what is a short pile for? my ceiling is realy nie and flat..... and the roller is new.

Darrren
Short pile rollers are usualy for Oil Based Gloss, Eggshell & Undercoat. Also they are for Acrylic Based Eggshell. i.e. when applied to flat walls and ceilings. In terms of your walls showing no patches and only your cieling, well this is down to how the sunlight gets into the room, in other words your walls will be the same AND do remember heat rises above doors areas and therefore your cieling will dry quicker than walls, as this also causes patchy paint finish.

Ok here goes…… I had a look at the walls third_Eye, and yes you are correct the walls are the same…I have tried the 2 wide rollering, and started from the window….Im not to sure of the zig zag…. And have given this a go…. I have tried in every direction….and it’s the same, I have given it 2 days to dry, but it is the same, patchy.

The rollers the Dulux, poly short did say emulsion on it…. So this is why I used this..I have now tried a medium one but it is the same.

Someone have said to me the Vinyl in the paint can do this when the light catches it, I have now gone out and purchased a small tub of Rich Matt, and the results are better, not perfect…but better….. why is this? Is there not as much vinyl in it?

More suggestions please,

Any pro`s in Essex…… you are welcome to pop in.

Darren

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back