washing machine tripping the electricity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
everytime I turn the washing machine o, it trips the whole electricity box - tried changing fuse but same problem - any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Funny you should ask - my Creda did exactly that a few weeks back.

I had just (couple of days) replaced the CU with a split load. At work and get a call from my lovely wife saying all electric had gone off.

assertained that the RCD had tripped and kept doing every time she tried to reset it. Established she was doing some washing, so got her to switch off the machine. RCD now ok. Got her to switch on the machine - RCD tripped. Of course it must have been my fault for fitting the new CU (she says) - I pointed out however, that it was working perfectly and was doing it's job (or did she want to get electrocuted?)

Anyway, have insurance cover on the Creda and called them in. Brushes were non-existant on the motor so he changed them. Didn't fix the problem though and still tripped the RCD. Changed the motor - now all ok - presumably the disintigration of the brushes had damaged the stator on the motor.

Sponsored Links
Have had exactly the same problem with a Hotpoint Washer Dryer which was about 9 months old. It took the repair man over an hour to find the problem, and about 2 mins to fix it. A very small wire had been rubbing against the inside casing during spinning cycle, which had worn a small hole in the insulation, causing the wire short out on the case.

as brushes wear, the carbon of the brushes "goes every where" this in turn, can and does make a path to earth.

The hotpoint eng, should have meggered it forst, but that said when motors get that bad, it is better to change them anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back