Re: Bath Plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone offer any kind of advice as to how I go about replacing my bath plug, I have removed my old one along with u bend etc as I had a leak.
Is it advisable to use sealent, if so what kind?
Any advice much appriciated
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Use a quality brand clear silicon sealant. Seal under the grating and on the mating surfaces underneath. If you are changing the overflow use plenty of sealant to hold the overflow grating in place. Also seal the flexible tube where it fits into the bath waster outlet. Don't just rely on the washers supplied with the waste kit as they are guaranteed to leak. Wait till the silicon has cured before using the bath.

Gasguru said:
Use a quality brand clear silicon sealant. Seal under the grating and on the mating surfaces underneath. If you are changing the overflow use plenty of sealant to hold the overflow grating in place. Also seal the flexible tube where it fits into the bath waster outlet. Don't just rely on the washers supplied with the waste kit as they are guaranteed to leak. Wait till the silicon has cured before using the bath.

A typical gas fitters reply :eek:
Take no notice and use plumbers mate like a proper plumber would :D
It's less messy and you can have a bath straight away !

i was going to be a plumber but my dad wouldn`t let me have the day off to learn . :)

Sponsored Links
voiceofthemysteron said

A typical gas fitters reply
Take no notice and use plumbers mate like a proper plumber would

Firstly I happen to carry out a significant amount of plumbing including major renovations and building projects - gas work is just one of my activities.

Do you ever go back to see the result of your work? Plumbers mate is one of the worst products the industry has been blessed with. It doesn't seal particularly well, and it doesn't secure the waste and overflow fittings securely. Since the holes in the bath are excessively large the overflow grate is prone to sliding from its central position (especially under slight tension from the overflow pipe). So what if silicon takes a little time to cure - it does the job properly. I am advising the poster how to do the job once and correctly. Your method is a bodge and will just create a callback when the bath starts leaking.

Proper plumbers do the job properly and use silicon.

It's less messy and you can have a bath straight away ![/quote]

Plumbers Mate don't know many plumbers still using that ****e next your going to say painted putty

voiceofthemysteron said:
Take no notice and use plumbers mate like a proper plumber would

Going back 25 years or something when I had some plumbers mate I got sick of the call backs on bath and sink wastes and went back to using boss white and putty with a washer knocked up out of a bit of lead sheet It never let me down once.

Since then we have evolved into the silicone age where everything would be better but they have started knocking out some crap bits of plastic without instructions to keep everyone on their toes. Using silicone can now sometimes be difficult on waste fittings as rubber washers have a habit of squidging out, so take care not to overtighten

To answer the question as it was put. Replacing the bath plug involves removing the old one from the chain and replacing it with a new 1¾" plug. Assuming you have a 1½" waste fitting of course. You will need a pair of pliers.

Shhh!
Plumbers Mate is a Trade Secret!! We can all use it, it lasts for a couple of years then leaks, so we all keep each other in work!

Got some rendering to do later. I've pee'd in the bath with the horse hair and cow dung, it should be ripe in an hour or two...

Gasguru said:
Do you ever go back to see the result of your work? Plumbers mate is one of the worst products the industry has been blessed with. It doesn't seal particularly well, and it doesn't secure the waste and overflow fittings securely. Since the holes in the bath are excessively large the overflow grate is prone to sliding from its central position (especially under slight tension from the overflow pipe). So what if silicon takes a little time to cure - it does the job properly. I am advising the poster how to do the job once and correctly. Your method is a bodge and will just create a callback when the bath starts leaking.
Proper plumbers do the job properly and use silicon.

I have been around 3 zillion years to see the results of my work :D

Obviously these 4 week plumbing courses don't teach you how to use it properly as i never get called back :p

sime10 said:

Plumbers Mate don't know many plumbers still using that s***te next your going to say painted putty[/quote]Red Lead putty :LOL: and a blow on the Red Leb @ lunchtime:cool: cool............we know you can hear us Earthmen :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back