Spur off a ring directly from the MCB terminals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi... it would be most convienient for me to take a spur from the MCB terminals of my ring circuit as it is closer than other sockets on the circuit (the wall backs onto that housing the CU.

Just wondered if this is allowed under the current regs (i read a thread from 2004 that said it was but was unsure if newer regs had updated that stance?)

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Sponsored Links
you can but:

the neutral must go to the same neutral terminal as the live goes to.
eg, say the neutral for the ring is in th 7th terminal, then your spur neutral must go to the 7th terminal (same for the earth)

its notifiable under part p

breezer said:
you can but:

the neutral must go to the same neutral terminal as the live goes to.
eg, say the neutral for the ring is in th 7th terminal, then your spur neutral must go to the 7th terminal (same for the earth)

its notifiable under part p

Thanks for the swift response breezer.

I understand about the neutral and earth terminals thanks for reminding me. Also thanks for the reminder about Part P! :evil:

Sponsored Links
A spur supplying a single outlet (single or double socket) may be taken from any point on a ring final circuit, including the origin.

This is a modification of an existing circuit and unless it is in a special location - e.g. the kitchen - no notification is required.

dingbat said:
A spur supplying a single outlet (single or double socket) may be taken from any point on a ring final circuit, including the origin.

This is a modification of an existing circuit and unless it is in a special location - e.g. the kitchen - no notification is required.

Unfortunately the outlet is to be situated in the kitchen so i'm still in Part P hell! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back