Steam in header tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently replaced the pump on my system which is fired by a Potterton Flamingo 50 boiler but after 3 or 4 minutes of firing up there is a loud surge of hot water shooting up the pipe into the small expansion tank in the roof followed by bellowing steam. There was a blockage in the system that was removed but this problem still exists. The water temperature is boiling despite turning down the thermostat, does the thermostat need replacing? :cry:

Sponsored Links
What happens next? what other symptoms do you get? how was the blockage cleared?

EliteHeat said:
What happens next? what other symptoms do you get? how was the blockage cleared?

The steam doesn't subside so I have to turn off the system altogether.
The blockage was removed by unrolling a reel of solder down the pipe to reach the blockage.
The pump is situated adjacent to the imersion tank and the feed from the pump down to the boiler has a bad kink in it just below the floor boards. I have two rads down stairs in the living room and one comes on every now and again when it feels like it!

Try your air seperator if its full of magnetite the water can't cross to return and goes up to the tank straight off the boiler. Hold a magnet against copper air sep if it sticks you've got sludge try gently tapping the pipe to return (the lower one off the air sep) you can sometimes get it moving again. Put in some X400 to desludge the system follow the instructionns.
You may have to change the air seperator.
Ultimately a powerflush may be needed as well.

Good luck. Don't be tempted to hit the air sep they're very thin and will buckle.

Sponsored Links
I have much of the same problem after having a new circulation pump fitted along with two new two port valves. I also have steam in the header tank that makes lots of noise when it bubbles. Sometimes my overflow pipe runs and pumps water into the garden as well. Is this possibly the same problem?

Sonicdruff you will do better to create a new post with the details suggested in the "Announcement: before you ask a question please read this" at the top of the plumbing forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back