WIRING A CEILING LIGHT WITH SIX EXISTING WIRES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
EVERYTIME I TRY A PUT THE 2 RED 2 BLACK AND TWO EARTHS INTO THE THREE HOLES ON THE LIGHT THE FUSEBOX BANGS BARE IN MIND THIS IS A THE BOTTOM OF MY STAIRS AND THERE IS A LIGHT A THE TOP

Sponsored Links
So you registered in small letters, then proceeded to superglue your caps lock key down. Why?

Did you note what went where on the old fitting? You're creating a short circuit. The old lamp was wired in a certain way, it was like that for a reason.

Clue: one of those blacks is actually a live, it should have a red sleeve on it. If it doesn't, you need a multimeter to find which wire goes to the switch.

You will probably need a spare piece of chock block for just the red wires to go into.

Sponsored Links
tomtom87 said:
EVERYTIME I TRY A PUT THE 2 RED 2 BLACK AND TWO EARTHS INTO THE THREE HOLES ON THE LIGHT THE FUSEBOX BANGS BARE IN MIND THIS IS A THE BOTTOM OF MY STAIRS AND THERE IS A LIGHT A THE TOP

GO CALL A SPARKY. YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOIN.

and there is a key to the left of keyboard saying 'caps lock'. go press it.

(and can you tell me the way from leeds to aberdeen?)

"ground control to major tomtom, your circuits dead theres something wrongwrong, can you hear me major tomtom"

sorry. i think its all been said tho, look at the lighting diagrams in the wiki, then find which is your switch. if your not 100% sure phone a sparky, or a handy friend will do for this, before you turn the power back on.

very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back