Help ceiling light on won't turn off damsel in distress!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help im a damsel in distress...........I have installed a new ceiling light today. I had 3 gray cables coming out of the ceiling one had 2 red wires 1 bare copper 2nd gray cable had 1 black wire 1 red wire and 1 bare and the last gray cable had 1 black wire 1 red wire and 1 bare copper All 3 bare coppers are twisted together

I installed the light putting the 2 of red into the empty terminal on the junction box 2 black into neutral the 2 red into live and the bare copper into earth, but now the light won't go off!!

What have I done wrong ?????

Sponsored Links
One of the twin reds goes to the light (you will have to try them one-at-a-time, switching power off in-between), the other three in an empty terminal. The two blacks connected to the neutral on the light. If the light needs an earth connect that to the others.

Turn off before messing with wires

Put your black cables to neutral terminal.(blue flex side of light fitting)
The two red cables from the red and black twins plus one of the reds from the red twins all together in a separate terminal/connection block or loop terminal if ceiling rose.
The left over red to live side of light fitting(brown flex side on light)
All earths to earth terminal, this bare copper should have a green and yellow, PVC sleeve fitted over it!
That should do it!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back