help with fitting a ceiling light!

Sponsored Links
the cables do go into connector blocks (as in first pic) and i have taped them up aswell.
should i have put them into some other type of connector to terminate them any better?

well if it did start blue then over the years it has faded and now looks green! the pic doesnt really show it but trust me, it is green!

They should be enclosed, tape is a no no! and all live conductors should be identified via marking or sleeving, earths all sleeved also.
I know you didn't originally install it, but it is potentially dangerous as it stands.
Common three core and earth colours pre 2004 Yellow, Blue, Red and bare earth core.

Sponsored Links
yes but what should they be enclosed in?
as you can probably guess im a bit of a novice when it comes to all this!
i thought insulation tape was ok to use, obviously not just tape, but to wrap around the conn block

so do i just get one of them chocbox's and use it in place of the insulation tape then?

You use it to enclose the termination block, so to prevent accidental contact with live part, remember the sheath of the cables should be within the enclosure also.

As you can see on image, the white sheath of cable is gripped and within the box.
In you case the sheath will be grey

ok no problem thanks a lot , i will invest in a chocbox then!
is it against some sort of regs to use insualtion tape around a conn block as the sparkie i had doing some other wiring recently did exactly that!

ok no problem thanks a lot , i will invest in a chocbox then!
is it against some sort of regs to use insualtion tape around a conn block as the sparkie i had doing some other wiring recently did exactly that!
Requirement (reg) section 416.2 States live parts shall be inside an enclosure or behind a barrier. (You could argue that insulation tape was a barrier) but the section goes on to say that barriers and enclosures have sufficient stabillity and durability to maintain the required degree of protection and appropriate separation from live parts.... (insulation tape does break down over time).
It also states the barrier/enclosure can only be removed by use of key or tool, tape can be removed by hand without needs of key or tools.
So I say it is against the regs.

Just playing devils advocate here, but if the choc-blocks are above the light fitting, are they not inherently only accessible with a tool?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back