Changing Ligh Fixtures In Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Kitchen has 2 lights ay either end I wan to replace them with some more modern lights the only problems is the wires have me confused

I have at one end 4 large gray wires hanging out..wire 1 has 2 reds and an earth..wire 2 has 1 red and 1 black and an earth wich is connected to wire 1's earth, the other 2 cables are exactly the same layout

The second lights has the same layout but with only one gray cable and a white cable..but also has an earth, blue and a red cable spare..

Thanks in advance..

Chris

Sponsored Links
a picture paints a thousand words and your current description is pretty vague..
post a photo if you want more help..

ditto Col,

Do you have a camera phone or similar?

If you'r lucky, you might get an answer direct form the photo with need for further description

Sponsored Links
How are these lights switched?

Do you have 1 switch which turns both on/off or is each light controlled by a seperate switch?

1. Have any other lights stopped working now that you have done that?
2. Did you make a note of which wire went where before you did that?
3. Have you read, and understood this: electrics:lighting ?
4. Do you have a multimeter?

Yes the oven light has stopped and under the stairs has now stopped, also some plugs seem to have stopped now too, but I don't see how that can happen from lights :\, Unfortunatly I did not make any note of where the wires went thinking this would be a much simpler job, I have looked over the link too am still looking over things on it and ni i don't have a multimeter as far as i know

1. Have any other lights stopped working now that you have done that?
2. Did you make a note of which wire went where before you did that?
3. Have you read, and understood this: electrics:lighting ?
4. Do you have a multimeter?

Yes the oven light has stopped and under the stairs has now stopped, also some plugs seem to have stopped now too, but I don't see how that can happen from lights :\, Unfortunatly I did not make any note of where the wires went thinking this would be a much simpler job, I have looked over the link too am still looking over things on it and ni i don't have a multimeter as far as i know

Just found out the bathroom light is not working either

1. Did you make a note of which wire went where before you did that?

didn't you make a note of where each wire went then?

can you elaborate on the 2nd light. you said something about a spare earth, blue and red.
or was that an earth, blue and spare red?
can't see a spare red. could it have been a brown wire by any chance, like a flex would have?
when you say 'spare' was it never connected, or was it broken off?

Do you have 1 switch which turns both on/off or is each light controlled by a seperate switch?

can you answer this first of all...

also
do you have access above the kitchen ceiling? if by some slim chance you do you could trace the cables as you don't have a multimeter.

can you get a multimeter?

why are so many other circuits not working?
did you turn everything off before you started? or just the lighting circuit?
could you have accidently tripped an RCD?

and finally, WHY DIDN'T YOU MAKE A NOTE OF WHERE THE WIRES WENT?

can you answer this first of all...

also
do you have access above the kitchen ceiling? if by some slim chance you do you could trace the cables as you don't have a multimeter.

can you get a multimeter?

why are so many other circuits not working?
did you turn everything off before you started? or just the lighting circuit?
could you have accidently tripped an RCD?

and finally, WHY DIDN'T YOU MAKE A NOTE OF WHERE THE WIRES WENT?

There is one switch that controls the main light as you walk into the kitchen, then at the far end there is a switch that controls both..

I have been looking at the wires as much as possible and from what I can tell there all linked from the one light as you go into the kitchen..I have access to the ceeling only above the extension and I can see 4 cables running through I have traced the one's that I need there..and all the circuits are on..

I don't know why I forgot to note where the wires went either..Just slipped my mind at the time..

try and trace
where the white twin and earth cable goes (could go to the switch)
where the green/yellow, blue and the red-or-brown-whatever-it-may-be wire goes. i'm not clear if this is to be connected up or not. try and work out what it's for (outside light, loft light, tv booster, nothing at all, who knows).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back