Building wall on steel beams

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My first floor outer wall beams are in but not sure how to proceed onto next level. I am ready for first course of blocks on beams but not sure it will be safe to lay blocks on steel. Is there some sort of mesh which goes on beams and then morter and course of blocks to help them lock on.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
lay a compo' bed onto the steel and build as normal.

if you are building a a cavity wall, onto two parallel steel beams, it is wise to set tie wires across in the first compo' bed. this will stop the insulation falling out as you build up. ;)

noseall said:
lay a compo' bed onto the steel and build as normal.

if you are building a a cavity wall, onto two parallel steel beams, it is wise to set tie wires across in the first compo' bed. this will stop the insulation falling out as you build up. ;)

You are absolutely right I am building a cavity wall on top of beams. Could you elborate what is compo's bed. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Compo`s bed is Rancid :mad: ..according to Cleggey ;)

Do we deduce you are building your own house or extension? If so, and given you don't know some pretty basic stuff, if you dont mind me saying so (nor do I!), how has the project gone thus far?

compo' is what we brickies call mortar. ;)

Never heard that one before. I thought it was muck, or even poo :)

Hmmm - is the quality of a builder proportional to the politeness of his term for mortar? Discuss. ;)

i think 'compo' is a Mid's term for mortar.

myself and all the brickies i have encountered call it compo.

you only need to hang around a building site to hear the brickies shouting "coompoooooo!".

pronounced "oh" and not "ew". ;)

'Compo' derives from composition. A composition of sand, cement and lime.

Being an apprentice was useful for learning somethings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back