gas transporter charges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Has any one any experience of gas transporter charges. I have received a quote from Wales and West utilities to give me a new connection and they quoted £500. Is this good or bad?

I do have an original cast iron gas pipe that is capped off and presumably disconnected further down the road but I was recommended a new connection by one of their employee's. Is this right or can I use the existing pipe or have it upgraded to PE?

£500 seems a lot and unaffordable at the moment :(

All advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Obviously WAWU are subsidising the price, get it done before they change their mind

Work there do you, they have an office in Brissol.. ;)

They claim they will need to excavate my garden (trench) but I have a raised front garden and one of their employee's mentioned the pipe could be "moled" through the ground. Can that be done?

And that price sounds good does it??

I can never understand why you have got to pay for something to be put in, That you are going to pay for.

They do take the pee really.

Do we pay for water mains into our houses ? No we don't but don't they charge :eek:

Sponsored Links
Yes it can be moled, they can dig a hole either end and away you go.

Yes the price is very good especially if they have to open the road.

To answer sime 10 question Yes you do pay for a water mains into the property, and a lot more than £500

doitall said:
Yes it can be moled, they can dig a hole either end and away you go.

Yes the price is very good especially if they have to open the road.

To answer sime 10 question Yes you do pay for a water mains into the property, and a lot more than £500

Any new property has a water main If I want gas I have got to pay for it? ok maybe in the house price but its there? How many properties do you have to pay extra for water ?

The builder pulls the pipe in when he's doing the groundwork, and then the water Company do the connection at a cost, and after inspection I will add.

I really have no problem getting a corgi engineer to install connections everywhere, I don't mind paying for that but 500 to connect me to a main dig a couple of holes... I already have a cast iron pipe going to my house. Don't know why they can't slide a PE pipe inside and tee off at the front of my house and they're done. I guess i'll have to ask them.

(The pipe comes from outside and into my kitchen under my floorboards and has a cap on it.) They renewed other peoples pipes in the road who use gas using the same method I mentioned above. :cry:

adwt2004 said:
..I was recommended a new connection by one of their employee's.
If they are only recommending a new connection, you presumably have the option of using the existing steel pipe, which would be much cheaper, if not free. Any subsequent problem with the steel pipe would be their responsibility and they would then probably insert a new plastic pipe inside the steel. This may be what they will do anyway, in which case £500 may be a lot to pay.

That's good advice. Although it enters my kitchen and is then capped off they could always cut it and do a bend just outside my house into a meter box, obviously insert the PE pipe too. Would be far simpler. I will have to ring them cos I have just been quoted their standard charge. I'm guessing I will need to discuss in detail.

Thanks for your advice

If its already capped in your kitchen then by rights it should also be capped in the road.
If thats found to be the case round here transco will not reconnect the old steel pipes they will only run in a brand new PE main.

Could be, doesn't really make it fair though. If i'm not willing to pay them their extortionate amount I can't get a gas connection. Not like I can shop around much. Wish I had that kind of business, would be minted...

:rolleyes:

With an attitude like that I hope they charge you the proper rate.

2 persons for the best part of a day.

plus supervisor and office administration.

permission from the Council to open the road.

council inspection after back filled.

maybe trafic lights for a day.

Materials. £100 average

Another guy to install the meter and test.

Here's to a nice cold winter :LOL:

adwt2004 said:
Could be, doesn't really make it fair though. If i'm not willing to pay them their extortionate amount I can't get a gas connection. Not like I can shop around much. Wish I had that kind of business, would be minted...

:rolleyes:

Thats the point, you dont have a gas connection, as its capped in the kitchen and capped in the road (as it should be) your gas supply is dead. the only way to get gas is a brand new connection so for £500 thats cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back