Who's in the wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking a bit of help. I recently got my bathroom floor tiled. The original floor was 18 - 20mm marine chipboard I think, all screwed down and level, and the tiler felt that this was secure enough to tile on.

I bought the tiles and adhesive, and he explicitly told me to get flexible adhesive for a wooden floor. I went to a well-known DIY chain and asked for this type of adhesive, which they gave me. Got back, the tiler who was foreign and not knowing all the adhesive brands here in UK, asked me twice was I sure that adhesive was flexible and for wooden floor. Based on the advice I had received in the store, told him yes.

3 weeks later, tile and grout has started to crack and come loose - turns out it was the wrong adhesive that I was given - not flexible.

Have complained, but store now questioning tiler's 'qualifications' etc. Who is in the wrong? Complaint has gone to their head office.

Sponsored Links
Surely you've answered your own question, who do you think is in the wrong? I'll give you a clue, it 'aint your tiler.

Well that's what I thought- but they are trying to wriggle their way out of it and cast all sorts of aspersions on the tiler - raised the fact about ply going down on the chipboard.

Let's just say I only went there in the first place as a last resort.

Sponsored Links
If you employ foreign muppets and pay them small amounts of cash - guess who's wrong?

Eddie M said:
joe-90 said:
If you employ foreign muppets and pay them small amounts of cash - guess who's wrong?

Why was he a muppet?

Because he was incapable of following the instructions on the pack. Hope he never goes in for demolition.

The poster got what they paid for.

Being unable to understand English does not make one a muppet.

Your as bad as each other. He can't be accused of muppetry for his lack of English. You could be accused of employing a muppet to do the job :eek:
If the outlet sold you the wrong stuff then you have a legitimate claim, hard to prove but with a bit of conviction they will roll over. Next time get someone who speaks AND understands English.

The customer has every opportunity to check that the product is the one they want. The customer and his foreign agent didn't do that. Ergo they are legally liable for their own misfortune. The poster got what he paid for (in cash which is now in a Warsaw bank courtesy of Easy Jet. No tax and no help to this country).

pablo55 said:
The original floor was 18 - 20mm marine chipboard I think, all screwed down and level, and the tiler felt that this was secure enough to tile on.
It's either marine plywood or chipboard, you can tiles onto chipboard flooring but need more attention by making sure the the flooring is dried and solid by using extra noggins with extra joists to approximately 300mm centres with the T&G joints glued plus screws every 250mm, the floor must be solid, if any movement then you should put wpb plywood over it. Better still, replace the chipboard with plywood

pablo55 said:
he explicitly told me to get flexible adhesive for a wooden floor. I went to a well-known DIY chain and asked for this type of adhesive, which they gave me. Got back, the tiler who was foreign and not knowing all the adhesive brands here in UK, asked me twice was I sure that adhesive was flexible and for wooden floor. Based on the advice I had received in the store, told him yes.

What does it say on the packet/tub? He may not read English too good but surely you can? I'm sure the manufacturer would put flexible somewhere in their product description, especially in a DIY shed. The fact that he insisted on flexible adhesive makes me believe that he knows his job.

If the stuff does say flexible then the store have done their job and you should get in touch with the manufacturer for advice. But unless you can tell them the construction of the floor underneath the ply then I doubt they'll be much willing to help.

Just to clarify a few things:

a) tiler in questions speaks good English, and whilst foreign has a partner from this country and has now actually settled here permanently.

b) his knowledge of the 'brands' of tile adhesive here would not be the same as in his home country, which incidentally is Germany, and the last time I looked, Warsaw was not part of that country.

c) He was definitely not cheap - was paid the going rate and came with a good reputation for his work - he also tiled other areas without a problem

d) he queried twice whether the adhesive was flexible, and based on the advice I was given by the store, I reassured him that it was

e) I purchased the adhesive along with the tiles, and knowing nothing about tile adhesive, that's why I approached the store's staff member, and accepted the product that he gave me

f) having looked into the sale of goods act, it is the store who is at fault, not me or the tiler as I was sold the product on the basis that it was for a particular purpose (flexible) which it isn't.

g) the floor is marine chipboard - all screwed down and solid.

To date the store has initially offered me a tub of adhesive with the flexible additive, and then the same thing but with the tiles thrown in. It is currently going down the official complaint route.

pablo55 said:
g) the floor is marine chipboard - all screwed down and solid.
Not heard of marine chipboard before, I'm still learning, anybody?

Are you thinking of veneered chipboard?

If you employ a muppet that doesn't speak the lingo rather than supporting your local BRITISH tradesman - then you get what you pay for.

You'll know better next time won't you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back