Ceramtic tiling on floating chipboard floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after a bit of advice. My kitchen floor is chip board floating on polyester foam (used as the insulator) which means there is a little movement in the floor. I have been told that as long as I use a flexible bedding agent and flexible groat I should be able to lay granite tiles without them cracking / moving. Is this right and does anybody have any suggestions of which agents to use? Thanks

Sponsored Links
No you don't really want to be tiling onto that - it won't last long.
What's underneath the polyester foam? A solid floor? If so, tile directly onto that.

Gcol

Under the polyester foam is concrete, but the foam is 4 in. thick and filing in the whole room seems like a big job, as we are hoping to do this in the next few days.

Is there no way of putting the tiles on the board, as the movement isn't so large you can see it, just you can feel it under foot if you are checking for it. My problem is I already have the tiles, but if I can't use them theres always e-bay.

Thanks

As Gcol says best not to lay onto what you have.

I would lift the floor & insulation, then fix 4x2 timber to the concrete, cut and refit the insulation between the 4x2, screw 18-22mm ply to the 4x2 and then tile with flexible adhesive & grout. This way you retain most of the insulation and have a more rigid flor to tile onto.

I would use BAL Rapidset Flexible adhesive and BAL Superflex widejoint grout.

Jason

Sponsored Links
The floor moves in my kitcen. The people before me overboarded the t&g floorboards to addd regidity and then added the tiles.

The bedding thay they've used does not appear to have lasted. The tiles are coming up in places where water has leaked in and warped the wood floor beneath.

If you're going to live there for some time (and want to do a proper job) make the floor stable.

If you follow Jasonb's advice you won't go far wrong. If you don't - you'll have to do it all again.

Amateur1975

fire up Ebay ..an sell them tiles to a *GOOD * Home lol

as gcol/jase ......tried to stress to you ...

dont destroy them tiles as they dont deserve it ...!!!!!!

bang on with the gear again, erm ........yeah jase ,!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back