Radial in the kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got the kitchen fitter in and we discovered that the socket supply for the kitchen is a radial and not a ring. Never had any problems in the past with it tripping etc but there will be a couple more things plugged into it in the new kitchen. Do we have a problem?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the size of the cable and the size of the supply fuse, a 2.5mm² radial should not really be fused above 20A, a 4mm² radial should not be fused above 30 / 32A².
It would be desirable for it to either be on a ring or a 32A radial, it isn't really worth installing less in a modern kitchen giving the amount of power that can be used in one go. What do you have plugged in? Things like washing machine, electric oven, kettle, tumble dryer etc are high loads which need consideration.

Thanks for your reply.

Here is what was plugged in before

1 kettle
1 toaster
1 dryer
1 washer
1 outside socket
1 George Foreman grill
1 oven and gas hob
1 extractor

the changes are
We have bought a washer/dryer as one unit
A new dishwasher
fridge/freezer (one unit)

Not checked the size of the cable but I will post back later with my findings.

Ta :D

from what you have said so far, if i were in your shoes (kitchen radial and redoing kitchen) i would take a cable from the last socket on the radial back to the Consumer Unit to make a ring-does this look like it will be a daunting task in your kitchen? (taking into account permitted cable routes)

Sponsored Links
Sorry forgot to mention that the "kitchen sockets" are on their own circuit with their own MCB

I will have a look at what size the MCB is when I get home.

Hello again

Checked the CU and its a B32 switch in there also checked the wires and they are quite thick but I have no way of measuring them.

Just at risked something like this today.

If you have a 2,5 radial on 32A, then that is dangerous. A 2,5 radial must be on no more than a 20A with a floor area covered of 50m2 or less.

Either complete the circuit to make a ring (BUT make sure it is a proper ring, not a mashed-up radial/ring mess), or reduce the breaker to a 20A or rewire in 4mm2.

If you have a radial protected by a 32A breaker and the PVC cable size is no less than 4mm2 and floor area no more than 75m2, then you're within regulation.

Thanks again for your replies

How do you measure floorspace? Is it the distance from the CU?

Afaik it is the area served by the circuit i.e. the kitchen, it is an old rule of thumb which was originally more to do with plug in electric heaters which in this day and age is well imho well out of date.

Is 4mm the size of the actual copper bit of the cable or do you include the copper covering?

Ta. :D

The cable is 4mm² NOT 4mm.

The 4mm² is the CSA (cross sectional area) of each of the live cores.

Right I asked the kitchen chap and he reassured me the cable is 4mm so everything is ok.

Next question if I can please is whilst redoing the kichen i noticed an electric cable for the light (twin and earth) running close to the central heating pipes. Is this allowed? Will the heat affect it?

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back