boiler Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all, been reading the forums alot over the last month or so and i see there are alot of pros here!!

i have just bought a 3 bed semi and it has an old back boiler system about 22 yrs old.

question is the boiler is nackered so i want to convert it all to a combi system mounted in the kitchen on a outside wall which is near all the pipes so should be fairly easy, i have been looking as a biasi 24 condensing boiler as the unit to go for, what do people think of this model? cheaper the better as im skint :)

we only really need it for the central heating and the odd bath etc as we have an electric shower for everyday use!

i will do all the wet side plumbing so will just have to get a man in to fit the boiler to the wall and do the gas plumbing etc is this all legal for me to do the wet side?
also what are the regulations for the mounting of the boiler ? any min height etc? so i can decide if the place i wanna put it is going to be legal!

many thanks for any help!!!

Sponsored Links
fabvr6 said:
i have been looking as a biasi 24 condensing boiler as the unit to go for, what do people think of this model? cheaper the better as im skint :)
You will be using your electric shower a lot with that one. :eek:
False economy as you will be even more skint after getting the thing fixed all the time.

Sponsored Links
biasi 400 quid from b n q.. yuk i call em throw away boilers get 5 yrs and fling em horrible things.

Soggy_weetabix said:
question is the boiler is nackered

Whats wrong with it?

David

it has a yellow flame on the burner, it so loud , i hate the idea of tanks in the loft, and hasnt been serviced since 91 according to the service history and i refuse to spend money on such an old crap boiler so mayaswell spend more and get a combi sysem seeing as with the back boiler i have to wait a hour for a full tank of hot water just to do the washing :rolleyes:

such a waste of gas tbh

15 yrs since its last service get some money spent should clear yellow flame and help with gas bills

25 years since 75cm squared vent wallpapered over "but we always leave the door to the kitchen open" :D

You might be lucky enough to get the Combi in before the Back boiler kills you all while you are watching TV because the Heat/ex is blocked solid with soot.
I cannot believe that its still going after 15 years. No wonder its burning yellow.
Be VERY careful :!:

we never sit in the living room at the moment anyway as we just moved in last month so doing diy all the time we are home :cool:

but i dont want to spend £300 or so on getting the back boiler fixed when i can spend a bit more and have a brand new system

i found a baxi 80E combi in wickes today but they couldnt tel me if it was condensing , does anyone know? they said it had just come out but i dont believe that for a min!

many thanks for all your help :LOL:

You get what you pay for in a boiler. Absolutely false economy putting a cheap boiler on the wall, you`ll be replacing it within 5 to 7 years, especially the biasi! They`re a nightmare, 2 pcb`s, all the spares cost a fortune too. Maybe only £400, but a pump for one of these is £100 plus v.a.t.

to be honest im not to bothered as regards to if it will go bang after the 2 year warranty as im planning to sell up within the next 2 years!

as long as it will give decent central heating etc it dont really matter as the warranty will cover it!

fabvr6 said:
we never sit in the living room at the moment anyway as we just moved in last month so doing diy all the time we are home :cool:

but i dont want to spend £300 or so on getting the back boiler fixed when i can spend a bit more and have a brand new system

i found a baxi 80E combi in wickes today but they couldnt tel me if it was condensing , does anyone know? they said it had just come out but i dont believe that for a min!

many thanks for all your help :LOL:

No the 80e isn't a condensing boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back