Blocked bathroom sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a bathroom sink that was a bit slow for the water to go down.I thought that i would try and rod it with a piece of insulated wire from work that did the trick once before.Now nothing will go down the plug hole.The bat plug hole is ok so i think it may be something to do with the trap.I have poured boiling water down mixed with bleach and it still will not go down.I cannot seem to get the trap off as the sink has a tall pot base that is obstructing me.I can feel a kind of plastic nut on either side of the underneath of the sink that may loosen the base but they are stuck dead.Do i have to take out the base first and if so is there a special tool that the installer used when put in that can be bought to loosen them.Hope someone can help us out. :?:

Sponsored Links
By tall pot base I think you mean pedestal.

The pedestal should come out quite easily. Then you can get at the trap.

Make sure you have a bucket underneath to catch the crud when it comes off, and wear goggles (because you've just filled it with bleach and you don't want it splashing in your eyes now) :)

Motleyboy - you arent having much luck there fella!

Is the sink blocked completely, ie is the water still or does it go down after a while? Try putting a caustic soda solution down there but be very careful as it is very dangerous, read the instructions. This will shift scum left by soap, hair etc. If that fails is there no way you can reach the trap?
If so is there any movement in the basin to be able to lift it up a bit to release the pedestal (making sure its supported afterwards of course). If not then the base will need to come away to get access to the trap.

before you go under any sink to remove the trap put the plug in :D ;)

Sponsored Links
big-all said:
before you go under any sink to remove the trap put the plug in :D ;)

The voice of experience.... rarely wrong.

I'm ashamed of myself for not mentioning it...

Sorted it out now.Had a mixture of bleach and boiling water there for a while and then got a bit fed up and blasted the cold water tap.Cleared the whole bleeding lot,who needs Mr Muscle.

I`d go in with the Plunger and kleenex :p :eek:

BoxBasher said:
For future blockages try here

Quite a good film, if you like skinny birds who cut their own hair.

I was a bit disappointed that it didn't show her handing the bucket to an accomplice, who tips it down the basin while she's on her back trying to clear the pipe after she's removed the trap :LOL:

I also liked "How to make a T-Shirt folding machine"
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-a-t-shirt-folding-machine

No sign of those Video Jugs, though :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back