Replacement Clock/Timer - Alpha 240E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I use the inbuilt clock - a mechanical type rather than electronic -
on my Alpha 240E to run the times when the heating is on/off. However, I've found i recent (cold) weeks that the clock just stops and so stays on constantly (until i notice) or off completely.

Could you tell me if the part is easy to source and is a DIY job to replace.

Or even better could the problem be fixed?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Chris

Sponsored Links
The mechanical one is about 25 quid plus vat the elctronic a little more. Four leeds all properly numbered, unlike most other makes. Easy diy job.

Also the radio programmable stats will fit, the receiving unit goes in place of the old clock and the programmable stat (available analogue or digital) sender unit can be positioned wire free anywhere in the house. Off the top of my head it's 80 something plus vat for either, but believe it or not the analogue costs the company the most.

Most manufacturers integral round segment clocks are cross compatible across manufacturers, so if you can get a baxi or a vokera one cheaper it will work and fit. But you are on your own working out the pinout as they don't number theirs. There are in all cases a phase and neutral then a common and no and nc on the clock. Your phase and neutral control the clock, the common is a live control signal from the boiler and the NO is the returned live control signal which has to be sent further on to the roomstat common before return to the boiler to give permission to fire. In some boilers this takes place at 230v in others it is low voltage.

Thanks Paul again for another very good post! Not sure I want to go down the £80 route cos i'm tight but maybe when funds allow.

Was also considering getting a programmable thermostat ~£25 also which would allow be to have the CH on constantly at the boiler clock unit and then have the thermostat do the timings... i assume that would work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back