Which coax?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
there seems to be a variety of different coax/digi cables available these days. can anyone tell me where i can find more info on the difference of types eg.ct100,ds100, rg59 etc etc?

Sponsored Links
When doing re-wires, i usually put in tv points around the house. i need to be using a coax suitable for analogue and digital tv which is of reasonable quality....my wholesaler has never been able to tell me the difference (other than price) between the various coax they stock. I realise that a 75ohm coax is needed, but i'm interested to know if it's worth spending about £28 on a reel or about £12.

Sponsored Links
NO

Dont use RG for UHF etc.

Use CT100 or equiv (DF100, PF100 etc etc). It has the usual air-spaced insulation around the centre core, and then a COPPER foil and a COPPER braid.

RG is more suitable to composite signals and the like on CCTV etc (or the yellow phono ot TV's etc).

Run a CT100 to all TV points from a central position.

Run 3 CT100 from central position to main viewing location.

You can run 2 CT100 to the main location when using some loftboxes which duplex the SAT 2 signal onto the RF uplink.

You are best to run 4 CT100 to the dish from the loft box.

With sky plus, you can use loftboxes which will distribute two sats to the main viewing area, and two other sats to other rooms, triplexed with radio and UHF.

You need to provide a phone point at all locations where a sky BOX will be, if on the same viewing package - they use this to make sure the viewing card remains in the same home as the others - so make sure the phone points are all on the same line (it compares the phone numer).

There is more....but bored now.

CT100 or equiv all the way!

don't' panic, RG6 is suitable for connecting additional TV's, Sat and cable TV etc.

The aluminium shield is not as durable as copper and it has slightly higher losses so it's not as good for outdoor use. I agree that air-spaced dielectric cables like CT100/H109 are better but they are quite a bit more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back