Please help! Boiler wiring problems (pictures included)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People!
Ive been watching and reading this site for quite some time but have never posted.
However I now require the help and advice offered on this site because I have just moved house into a 1980's home and the wiring to the boiler is some what shocking to say the least!
I think the central heating was installed some 10 years ago and basically it has a mind of its own! Turns on when it wants and has some suspect wiring. So we have decieded to replace the room thermostat and timer for a new unit but we need some help!

Basically what we have currently is :
Home warm 600 boiler
Darnfuss timer
Switch master home warm thermostat
Switchmaster home warm electric valve
Grundfos selectric pump

We want to replace the
Darfuss timer with a Grasslin QE2 timer
Switch master home warm thermostat with a digital honey well timer

Basically what I would like to know from you people please if possible:
1)If anyone can guess from the kit and boiler how old the install is?
2) The wiring diagram for the pump
3) The wiring diagram for the electric switchmaster valve
4) Any advice on fitting?
5) Will everything work with what I have brought?
6) Do you see any problems?
Any other help and advice very much appreciated and recieved!
Thanks!
(Pictures below)
DSCF0060Small.jpg

DSCF0059Small.jpg

DSCF0057Small.jpg

DSCF0061Small.jpg

Sponsored Links
this was a b gas budget installation,intended for a small property ,very low output boiler.to fit components you want will also req a new 3 way mid position d /valve a new valve will also include the wiring diagram you req. it will be around 12 years old ,in my opinion ready for replacing

gordongas said:
this was a b gas budget installation,intended for a small property ,very low output boiler.to fit components you want will also req a new 3 way mid position d /valve a new valve will also include the wiring diagram you req. it will be around 12 years old ,in my opinion ready for replacing

Is it the whole valve which will need replacing or just the head?
Whats the valve I have fitted at the moment? I thought that was a 3 way?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
EliteHeat said:
What is so shocking about the wiring?

The pictures I have not hosted are of the wiring, to tun the system on there is a switch pannel with electronics type swiches mounted ontoto a blanking plate. Its dire! :D

Well the last couple I did I completely rewired to a standard Y plan system ie. room stat, twin channel clock, cylinder stat, new valve, wiring centre. You are openig a whole can of worms. Probably more towards the 20 year mark now...they are on the estate round here anyway.

Scrap the brown valve. It's obsolete and will let you down at the worst time if you don't.
Yours is an odd system which gives you alterable shares of ch and hw according to your "Comfort Valve" control thing (picture 3)(which you have instead of a thermostat). You have to keep both or neither of the Comfort Valve and motorised brown valve. So bin them both.

You said:
We want to replace the
Darfuss timer with a Grasslin QE2 timer
FINE
Switch master home warm thermostat with a digital honey well timer
Do you mean a programmable thermostat? Also Fine, but you'll have to leave the CH ON 24hrs at the grasslin.

Basically you'll be rewiring the lot, so the currrent connections aren't particularly relevant, though we do have them if you need it (wire colours between devices will be installer's choice).
As Honeywell Y plan here:

You'll find a current 3 port valve won't fit your pipes, so things will have to be extended or sprung a bit.

ollski said:
Well the last couple I did I completely rewired to a standard Y plan system ie. room stat, twin channel clock, cylinder stat, new valve, wiring centre. You are openig a whole can of worms. Probably more towards the 20 year mark now...they are on the estate round here anyway.

20 years old.....good grief. Well it still sounds quite quiet (the boiler that is) and it works (or seemd to) So I guess just leave it in until it breaks?

You were right about the valve I checked just, its brown!

Why would I be opening a whole can of worms? Will it put extra pressure on the system?

ChrisR said:
Scrap the brown valve. It's obsolete and will let you down at the worst time if you don't.
Yours is an odd system which gives you alterable shares of ch and hw according to your "Comfort Valve" control thing (picture 3)(which you have instead of a thermostat). You have to keep both or neither of the Comfort Valve and motorised brown valve. So bin them both.

Great post chrisR! Thank you! :D

Ok if I do scrap the brown valve then what do I get instead? Is the brown valve a 3 way?

Your right its an odd system!
The wiring I can do totally no problem at all (cousin is a electrician and has agreed to do it). The new 3 way valave I am very concerned about, as im no plumber! Whats involved?
This current brown valve has a 3 way juction at the back of it.
But whats involved in doing the work? How would I refil the system? Does it need all draining?

The honeywell thermostat is the one shown in the link below, dont think you program it, its just a digital display rather than a dial.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160058849099&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11

Any extra help you could offer would be fab and thanks so far! ;)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yes it needs draining to below the level of the valve as it is almost certainly on a primatic cylinder. Your replacement valve will have the head on the top instead of the side as it is currently, so by the look of the picture it will need altering so that 15mm pipe isn't in the way. Then as I say you need a twin channel timeclock / programmer, a new room thermostat, a cylinder thermostat and a decent wiring centre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back