Installing new circuit info required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add some electrics into the loft, to power a couple of PCs (servers), exterior security lights, CCTV cameras and some lighting in the loft.

I have a spare way I can use in the main CU.

What would be the best way to go about achieving this?

Sponsored Links
Notify your Building Control office, they will have some forms and a fee to pay.

Buy yourself a book on Wiring and Lighting so that you do it properly

Have a look at the Wiki and FAQ on //www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=8

Run a 20A radial in 2.5mm T&E. Install plenty of sockets.

You can either take the lights off the existing lighting circuit which doubtless passes through the loft, or a 5A FCU off your new radial.

Have it inspected and certificated by the BCO.

Otherwise, ask your friends and neighbours for recommendations of a good local electrician, and check that he is a member of a self-certification scheme and will issue you with an installation certificate himself.

Seems to be many people who install 'servers' in their lofts.

What they actually usually mean is "a computer running some form of server software". A server differs hugely from a desktop PC!

And the LOFT issue - Any computer relies on being able to remove heat from the power supply and the motherboard containing the all important chip. A computer in a loft is going to run warmer than it should, and its cooling fans will be little use.

Sponsored Links
Lectrician said:
And the LOFT issue - Any computer relies on being able to remove heat from the power supply and the motherboard containing the all important chip. A computer in a loft is going to run warmer than it should, and its cooling fans will be little use.

Don't reduce the market for replacement mother boards. Loft cooked mother boards are a good source of income for IT repair people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back