Plug socket branching off from a lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking to install a residential wireless CCTV camera where the camera hangs down from the ceiling.

I need a socket to power a camera with but do not have any power sockets in the loft from where to take an extenion and power the camera from. I do however have the upstairs lighting circuit up there.

Is it safe to branch off of from a lighting circuit and install a power socket in the loft from which to power this camera?

The power consumption on the camera says DC 5V 2.0A. There are currently 6 lights running on the lighting circuit each has a 60W bulb and the MCB that runs this circuit is a 6Amp one.

All help and advise is much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's not considered good practice but is actually alright if you use it for nothing of higher load by mistake, better would be a 5A socket and plug.

Does the camera have a plug fitted?

If not you could wire it to a connection unit of one sort - switched, fused or a straight connector.

I'm sure there will be a plethera of replies contradicting me.

BUT for the situation you describe I see no issue with installing a 13A socket on a 6A lighting circuit, the worst thing that could possibly happen is some one plugging in a 3KW load and all that would happen is the MCB (or fuse) would trip.

I would fit a lable showing that it is on the 6A lighting circuit.

edit I assume it is a wall wart you need to plug in.

Sponsored Links
Deleted due to multiple posts.

Not sure what happened here.

The camera must have some sort of transformer. If it uses a wall wart, then a fused 13A socket with a 3A fuse would solve your problems; if a separate unit then a 5A socket designed for lighting circuits would be a cheap and easy answer.

Thanks for all of the replies, the cameras basically come with a 'wall wart' type of plug which plugs into a socket.

I'm guessing from all of the replies that this is safe to do?

Thanks again.

I know it's not strictly correct, but I have done this with a 13A socket in my attic. It is used only for the camera part of a wireless baby monitor, or occasionally an inspection lamp when I am in the loft. I did run it from a fused connection unit with a 1A fuse installed so there is no chance of overloading the circuit.

The problem with this is someone can come along and plug something with a higher load into the socket.

My advice would be take 1.5mm t&e from the pendant to a fused spur, install a 6A fuse, then from that to a standard 13A double or single socket outlet.

Or you could cut the plug off the camera and wire it straight into the fused spur but you might void the warranty on the camera this way.

The problem with this is someone can come along and plug something with a higher load into the socket.
Who?

My advice would be take 1.5mm t&e from the pendant to a fused spur, install a 6A fuse, then from that to a standard 13A double or single socket outlet.
Why 1.5mm²?
Why 6A? That's the same as the MCB.
What if 'someone can come along and plug something with a higher load into the socket'?

Or you could cut the plug off the camera and wire it straight into the fused spur but you might void the warranty on the camera this way.
It's a wall wart.

OP - Just do it and don't use it for the vacuum.

I've got a couple of sockets off the lights in my loft for the TV aerial splitter, the wifi repeater, one of the CCTV cameras and the DVR.

No problem at all, except when a bulb goes the telly looses it's signal and you have to get up and reset the breaker :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back