Biasi boiler keeps 'blowing' internal fuse - any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
its a Biasi Riva m90e, the internal fuse (inside the boiler next to the power inlet) keeps 'blowing' - no heating and no hot water -
I replaced it with the same voltage, the green light flashes to say the powers on but as soon as the boiler tries to 'flash itself up' (within 5 seconds of switching the mains on) the fuse makes a nice pop sound and no power, tried it twice (bought 2 new ones this morning) as it is a 'special' fuse i cannot get another one(or three) until tomorrow. Have called a plumber and explained over phone - he was very honest and said he wouldn't waste my money by comming out as it would cost a lot to locate fault and at the end would probably need new 'insert' or boiler -Boilers only just over 2 years old and don't want to waste money on someone to look at if its 'beyond repair'

Sponsored Links
Warning - I know nothing!!!

I had a boiler fuse blow on me; replaced it three times or more before working out that the circulating pump had packed in and that the boiler was therefore kettling (sounding like a kettle because water inside was boiling) - for some reason the fuse didn't like it, and blew after (very) roughly ten seconds (rather than instantly). A new pump fixed the problem.

So maybe check whether your pump is humming or just deceased next time??

Almost certainly a problem with the pump but it could be something else and needs electrical tests to confirm.

The fuse is not special just a standard 1.6 amp fast blow! We have over 1000 in stock!

Your plumber is a complete cowboy who obviously cannot repair boilers. What do you expect from a plumber? You need a boiler engineer!

The M90 is less than five years old and totally repairable!

What are you going to do next?

Tony

Thanks for your replies
the fuses... nearest outlet to buy is 7 miles away - local shop only does household 3amp ad above and i had work today so couldn't get back to the shop
Pump - not sure can definately hear something 'kick in' just before the fuse fries...its the sound i useually hear about 5 am when the system 'checks' itself - so think the pump is OK?
Not sure how the 'start up' sequence goes - i'm thinking pump kicks in then ignition/gas
- I've managed to download a service manual - which i'll flick through to see if it says anything -
On Sunday (next day off) will change fuse again and then 'hold in' the reset button whilst i switch on see if that makes any differnece

If not will phone a Boiler man on my next weekday off (wednesday)and see if we can arrange a day (i work shifts) for a 'look'

Sponsored Links
Holding the reset button will make no difference.

The boiler needs electrical tests to determine faulty component.

You might be better getting a manufacturer's service agent to come. You can call Biasi on 0121 506 1340.

Tony

THANKYOU ALL..
after the suggestion of something being wrong with the pump - decided to 'unplug' the pump (has a plug similar to one that goes in a kettle), on removing this found that the inside of the 'moulded plug end' had 'burnt out' and hardly anything left of the live 'connector', and on the other side of the connector (the bit attached to the pump) the brown wire was 'showing' through just before it went into 'the recepticle' for the plug
Looks like this connection had been 'arching' for some time. Thinking that i didn't want to spend out on a new pump if it was only the lead that was 'duff' - unwired the connections into the pump, and wired in a 3amp wired 'ordinary plug' - felt if there was something wrong with pump it would blow the 3amp fuse - the pump worked perfectly. so 'cut off' the kettle type connection and took out the 'receptor', 'releasing' the wires from the pump' - reconnected wire coming from circuit board to pump, thus 'cutting out' the dodgy connection - will try to get a replacement lead , but can't see the point of having the 'kettle type' socket there', unless its just for easy removal of pump
- It now works wonderfully and am now warm but on the down side I now have to wash the dishes :cry:
Thanks again for all you help - i've now got to solve the problem with the water comming in below the windows of my house... but thats another forum lol x x :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back