Got a spark coming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to all the wiring mismatches in my house I have booked a spark to come and have a look and see what needs doing.

I know for sure that we need a new ring main for all the house, at the moment we are in the process of redoing the front room where the CU is because this room is being totally redone Im not worried about the mess the spark will make but I have been thinking could he wire the upstairs sockets at the same time by going through the floor to the 2 bedrooms upstairs with minimum mess.
I currently only have 4 sockets upstairs and im looking at only having a couple extra ones and the possitions of the existing sockets are ok.

I can see a path to all the sockets in the house from this one room am I being realistic thinking we could wire them all with minimum mess?

Im only asking about the ring main so far but I will ask about the lighting circuit later.

Sponsored Links
Isn't that why the spark is coming? To advise and do the work?

con1_uk, that is fine! the only mess you will have is, from the floor board, behind skirting to your socket!

BUT ask your sparks to advise you....... :confused:

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I've been busy with Mrs Twocities. Hang on......

"Whats that dear? no, its OK just having a wee break, back with you in a minute............"

It all started when I gave her a book about tantric sex. It told her about the electricians position - thats the one where you stay in all day but nobody comes :LOL:

Gotta dash, working day tomorrow..... ;)

TTC

Hello again,

Well the spark came to see my house and was very helpful. He suggested

1 new CU with RCD

1 new socket ring for the downstairs only (Kitchen is OK as a 4mm radial and is quite new) i can see a way of fitting t2 of the 3 sockets in the back living room from the other side of the wall because the front room is being totally refurbed then the mess is ok in there.

1 new socket ring for my loft conversion with the 1st floor sockets fed from this, I can get all the sockets I need wired with minimum mess because as the loft isn't finished there is the stairs room on the 1st floor which has stud walls that both bedrooms are either side of.

He mentioned I needed an earth cable running from my stop tap to the cu and the pipes would need some earthing which he said was quite straight forward as they are only joined together and not ran back to the cu.

Now the lighting circuit is a bit of a pickle because it is all a bit of a mess so I'm going to ask him another time about this. If there is a proper cable going into the loft with earth on then can new lights be ran from this then metal fitting used?

How does all this sound?

Thanks. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back