noisy toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After flushing the toilet I have this noise like a ship\\\'s hooter for 10 seconds until the cistern is full & then it stops. Any ideas how I can stop this

Sponsored Links
I would take off the ball valve and try cleaning it. if no joy then replace the valve :)

with a fluidmaster if it`s a bottom entry one ;) or a torbeck if it goes thru` the side of the cistern

Nige F said:
with a fluidmaster if it`s a bottom entry one ;) or a torbeck if it goes thru` the side of the cistern

Nige F Can you please enlarge on your answer. What is "torbeck" Thanks[/code]

Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same problem a few months back. i solved my noise by replacing a rubber washer - size of a 2p piece with a raised smaller lump in the middle of the washer - that is located within the plastic housing connecting the ballcock stem to the other end where the water comes in. Sorry i dont know any techy terms as i'm completely clueless at plumbing otherwise

It is possible to change the washer, but it is often quicker and easier to fit a new valve (this is especially so for a tank in the dark and cramped loft). You can then repair the old valve or fit a new washer at your leisure on the kitchen table, and put the repaired valve ready to swap next time the fault recurs.

Equilibrium valves are very quiet in use. brass ones are available at huge cost. The common ones are these plastic ones:

This is a Torbeck
side entry
p1034518_l.jpg

bottom entry
p4511902_l.jpg

A Fluidmaster is like this
400_product_image.gif

or there are some like
p2938324_l.jpg

or
p2938455_l.jpg

You probably have one of these valves fitted as new, they are a few pounds cheaper but noisier in use
p1816516_l.jpg

You can also get a Fluidmaster Flapper valve which replaces the old syphon, and is in my view a better thing; quiet, effective, good strong flush, hardly any moving parts
p2938193_l.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back