noisy toilet cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi hope someone can help with this one.
When we flush our loo it fills up with water OK but it has started to make an awful grating, grinding kind of noise - hard to describe - a bit like a ships hooter !!
What can be the cause of this and how do I fix it please?

Sponsored Links
It's likely the inlet valve is vibrating. Lift the cistern lid off and flush the loo and GENTLY push the inlet valve to one side and see if this has any efect on the noise. You wouldn't believe the racket these can make!

If so replace it with one of these. Once described to me as the "Rolls Royce" of inlet valves! Admittedly this was by the guy I was buying it off!

If you remove the lid of the cistern and press on the ball while the water is flowing, does it affect the sound?

If so, why not try just turning the mains down a little? There may be an isolator on the main feed to the cistern or you could try turning down the main stopcock, a small change in flow can affect the noise a lot.

My own inclination would be to take the ballcock valve apart and look for slack in the moving parts but you may not want to bother if it's not your house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back