Hoover Performa 1100 rubber bits and smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all.

Our Hoover Performa 1100 smelt badly of burning rubber during the last load of washing. On inspection, there were bits of rubber amongst the washing and melted rubber stuck to the rim of the rotating drum. I\\\'ve pealed back the door seal slightly and can see that part of the inside lip of the rubber has been 'consumed'. I assume i can just replace the seal, but why would this have happened and how do i know it won't just happen to a brand new door seal? Might something have moved (i.e. the drum) or is it likely to be a one-off, caused by a bit of caught clothing for example?

thanks in advance for any help/advice

Sponsored Links
Funnily enough I had to change the drum on one of these this week for the same reason.
When removed and stripped down it was found that one of the inner drum spider legs had snapped which allowed the drum to run on the door seal.
There's every chance you have the same problem.
Turn the drum so that the paddle is at the bottom, push on the rear of the drum in the centre and pull the front of the drum toward you, if there is excessive movement then the leg has snapped. (3 paddles, 3 legs).

thanks sleepyhead,

i haven't ever paid much attention to the movement normally, so i'm not sure whats excessive, but when i did what you've suggested it wobbles quite a bit. does this mean a new drum or just a new spider leg (i assume a new drum from what you've written), and is it fairly easy to replace myself (and also, how much will a new drum cost roughly)?

cheers,
hobnobber

Sponsored Links
It's a major job I'm afraid. The whole tub assembly has to come out through the top of the machine, be split into two and the inner drum has to come out. To get it out everything has to be stripped off it and a lot of componets removed/moved out of the way. It's normally a two man job and takes me around 3 hours to complete.
If the bearings are worn at all then they too must be replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back