RCD Tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've got a bit of a problem regarding the RCD tripping and nothing else when the central heating switches itself off. It is currently intermittent, have you got any thoughts? :oops:

Regards,
Paul

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the rcd trips but the mcb does not? Do you have the tools to test with?Is the heating spurred off the ring main?

Yes the RCD trips but none of the MCD's trip. I'm not an electrician so I've not got the tools with me. British Gas recently replaced the thermostat and have replaced the central heating programmer. With the problem still happening. I was just trying to rule the circuit breaker out before going any further. I believe that the heating is spurred off the main ring.

Spurs for fixed equipment from RCD protected socket-outlet circuits... there's your problem. Asking for trouble...

Sponsored Links
Something in your heating system's clearly faulty. It could be a leaky pipe that's dripping water onto a pump or motorised valve or something.

Basically, it's picking up current flowing to earth.

Get the installer back to sort it out.

RCDs will blow if there's a leakage to earth, usually anything over 30mA. They're designed to prevent electric shock

MCBs will blow if a circuit's overloaded. e.g. at 6A, 10A 16A, 20A, 32A, 45A, 63A etc. as per their rating. They're designed to prevent fire due to overloaded cables.

If you've a short circuit to earth, the RCD will trip almost instantly and your MCBs will remain on.
If it's a short circuit between L and N or an overloaded circuit the MCBs will pick trip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back