Cellar Extractor Fan Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My cellar is ever so slightly damp and I have been advised that I should look to fit an extractor fan in there to help this problem. There is an existing air brick in the wall, but I am after some advice on what would be best to fit in there? Would a kitchen or bathroom extractor fan do the job?

Many thanks for any help and info.

Sponsored Links
How big? How damp? A dehumidifier may be the answer. Alternatively, a large extractor fan with a humidistat may do the job, but you need to quantify what volume of air you need to shift

Cellars are (almost) always damp as they are usually in old houses with no dpc and the walls are in contact with the earth.

You could save some money by opening up air bricks on both/all sides of the building so that you get a through flow of air (there is almost always a pressure difference on the different sides of a house).

If you ever want to put down a new cellar floor you can dig out the old one and lay new with DPC, but the walls will never be dry.

Underground rooms are now built assuming that water will get in somehow, and have drainage channels and a pumped sump.

Thank you for the info so far. The cellar is roughly 8 metres by 8 metres and it is not damp as such but items that are left in there are getting slight mold marks on them.

Sponsored Links
I have a similar problem with my cellar.
Pls. could you tell me how you solved this problem.

Many thanks
DIYJob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back