Leaking Radiator Valve Please Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I turned a radiator off in my spare room whilst tidying and when I went back to the room some hours later, noticed there was water all over the floor.

I turned the radiator back on for 45 seconds and it filled ok, then turned it off again and it appeared water was leaking from underneath the shut off valve.

It is not a thermostat valve, just a on/off.

I also noticed there appeared to be redish brown stains on the inlet pipe, obviously where this has been leaking and cooking onto the pipe for some time.

Would the entire valve need replacing or is it likely washers or the PTFE has gone.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Try tightening everything up while holding the valve in a wrench so you are not tightening against the copper pipes. Also try tightening the gland, which is the nut around the valve spindle, (the bit that turns).

Thanks Mate,

I will give it a go, may be back on the forum for more assistance.

You have to remove the plastic cap to see if there's a gland nut to tighten. Doesn't work on Belmonts .

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
You have to remove the plastic cap to see if there's a gland nut to tighten. Doesn't work on Belmonts .

Will check this out...
it's quite an old system and this is the only non TRV RAD in the house
and i'm sure it is the first one off the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back