instaling bathroom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i've hit a spot of trouble and need your help. i had a bathroom fan which worked when the light came on. I wanted to change this to a fan to one which will work via a seperate pull cord. What i did was this......
I took the power from the nearby light to a 4 terminal junction box, twin and earth from the new celling pull cord to the junction box making sure the nutural was marked as switch live and put in a seperate space in the junction box and connected the live and earth as normal. From the junction box i put twin and earth connected to the switch live,live and earth to a fcu and from there to the fan. guess what it dosent work. Have i done this correctly? The power is off upstairs now and the wife isnt happy. I hope one of you guys are gonna read this and poss help soon.

cheers for any help :(

Sponsored Links
"" From the junction box i put twin and earth connected to the switch live,live and earth to a fcu ""

Have you got a neutral going to the fan ?

There are two ways to wire a timer fan. The first is better by far.

Take a SL, L & N from the jb or rose to a 3 pole isolating switch, then out to the fan.

If you want to switch the light on without the fan, just switch the 3 pole off.

However, if you want the fan without the light, you will need another switch. Take a live/neutral feed to a pullcord. Take a 3 core to an 3 pole iso, and onto the fan, as above.

Take the live in (from supply) & live out (to iso) to the common. Take the switchwire (of the three core) to L1. Joint the N's & E's through.

The second way dispenses with the 3 pole iso:

Take the lighting feed in (and out) to the supply side of a switched fused spur.

Take the load side to a jb & wire to light, pullcord(s) & fan as normal.

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
There are two ways to wire a timer fan. The first is better by far.

Take a SL, L & N from the jb or rose to a 3 pole isolating switch, then out to the fan.

If you want to switch the light on without the fan, just switch the 3 pole off.

However, if you want the fan without the light, you will need another switch. Take a live/neutral feed to a pullcord. Take a 3 core to an 3 pole iso, and onto the fan, as above.

Take the live in (from supply) & live out (to iso) to the common. Take the switchwire (of the three core) to L1. Joint the N's & E's through.

The second way dispenses with the 3 pole iso:

Take the lighting feed in (and out) to the supply side of a switched fused spur.

Take the load side to a jb & wire to light, pullcord(s) & fan as normal.

Blimey, have you been on the smarties Secure :LOL:

Well, I had a few too many E's for lunch...

E110 Sunset Yellow, mainly...... :confused: :LOL:

The original fan did run on but it also only worked when the light was switched on, i wanted to do away with this! what i would like is for the fan to only run when i want it to.
im getting worried now, the fan i purchased from screwfix, worringly the box says axis eclipse x on one side and axis eclipse xt on the other. How would you guys wire this in from scratch, at least if i new i had done this correctly i could concentrate on the fan. I will try to connect L AND SL together in the fan as well.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

sorry didnt see your last post, any chance of a diagram buddy?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What do you mean?Take the lighting feed in (and out) to the supply side of a switched fused spur. I get the in bit but where does the out go? :cry:

There are two distinct methods of wiring a fan in a bathroom. One uses a 3 pole isolator and the other (often used before 3P iso's were commonplace) meant taking what would be the loop to the bathroom wiring from the bathroom light and feeding a spur with it, then using the outgoing cable from the spur to feed the rose & fan.

So when I said feed in & feed out, I was talking about the live feed to the bathroom light fitting from the last light, and the feed from the bathroom fitting to the next light (if there is one).

cheers for that, ive now found that the fan in the box isnt the fan i had orderd even though the box said it was. This fan has a timer on it so i tried to join the SL and L in the fan like some other posts had said, that didnt work so i took a live from the junction box to the live in fan and it worked! I dont like it though, twin and earth to fan plus brown seperate live, decided to send fan back to screw fix and get new one without timer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back