Light switch in the bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody solve this riddle for me once and for all!!

I'm converting a bedroom to a bathroom - can I have a light switch (a dimmer) IN the bathroom?

I have received conflicting advice - some say its OK as long as it's in Zone 3 according to the IEE regs (??!!??) - presumably that means not too close to your bath or shower. Others have said "absolutely no way" with a sharp intake of breath "either outside or pull cord inside".

Any chance of a definitive answer

:eek:)

Thanks

W.

Sponsored Links
Definitive answer: you can have a normal light switch or dimmer in the bathroom, in zone 3.

I asked about this a while back, and did some checking. Zone 3 is 60cm from the edge of the bath, and it is ok to have a normal light switch there.

However, you can get a dimming pull cord for about £15 from: here

I am planning on putting one in my new bathroom in the next two weeks. If anything, a lot of housebuyers might be unnerved at a normal lightswitch and you don't want to have to start telling them "oh, it meets IEE regs" without them asking. I am using the pullcord because whilst I have the room to put a normal dimmer in zone 3 I wouldn't feel 100% comfortable with it.

Thanks Adam - it's good to know that the work that's been done so far (i.e putting 'em inside) hasn't gone to waste, having said that I tend to be like you and feel a little bit uncomfortable with them there.............now where's that electricians number??

Sponsored Links
Zone 3 is also the space above zone two as long as it is above 2.25m off the floor. I know this isn't quite relevant here, but......oh shut up!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back