DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

SOS!! Saunier Duval combi boiler - leaking water, no hot wat

This topic originated from the How to page called Problems associated with noises from the central heating system
Click here to return to the page called Problems associated with noises from the central heating system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
uncy_chris

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote

Hi, I hope someone can help. I have a Saunier Duval combination boiler. There was no hot water or central heating this morning so when I checked it showed the pressure was low (below 0.5 bar), and there was no flame showing.

I released the pressure valve and put the pressure up to about 3 bar and tried turning the boiler off and on to see if the flame would re-appear, but no luck. There is a strange leak coming from the base of the boiler that only occurs when the boiler is on.

Is there anything anyone can suggest? I've read, but can't find, the bleed valve which I gather would empty the pressure? I don't actually know where to find the model number, but if there's any experts here they might be able to determine it from the front panel, which is simply a timer, pressure gauge and temperature setter on the lower left, and an on/off switch on the right.

We had the boiler serviced about 2 weeks ago. If we need to get an engineer out, will a receipt for this service cover us for any extra work if we need to call an engineer out?

Cheers if you can help me.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
corgiman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote

no wonder you ave a leak you are only meant to take the pressure up to 1 bar lmao

the PRV is opening when the boiler fires up and the water expands that wee bit get the service man back before you do yoursel an injury

before that try and get some of that pressure out of the boiler by bleedin a rad it takes a while mind
 Alert Moderators
uncy_chris

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote

Cheers,

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a PRV? How exactly do I "bleed a rad"? I've left it off for a while today and its lost some of the pressure. Shall I leave it to go down to 1bar and then see if I can get a flame? Or is this an engineer only job?
 Alert Moderators
Agile

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote

A service is a very simple quick job which can be done by a pretty inexperienced person.

Your problem now is probably caused by you over pressurising the boiler.

Its likely to be an SD 620 or an SD 623.

This boiler is very prone to leaks and my general advice would be to replace it or get British Gas fault cover ( if they are stupid enough to cover it ! ).

Tony
 Alert Moderators
uncy_chris

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:20 am Reply with quote

Agile wrote:
A service is a very simple quick job which can be done by a pretty inexperienced person.

Your problem now is probably caused by you over pressurising the boiler.

Its likely to be an SD 620 or an SD 623.

This boiler is very prone to leaks and my general advice would be to replace it or get British Gas fault cover ( if they are stupid enough to cover it ! ).

Tony

Right, so is there nothing I can do? I'm only a tennent of the property and since we had to get an emergency engineer round to look at the boiler (and he ended up servicing it too) 2/3 weeks ago, I don't really want to tell my landlord its knackered again!

Would you recommend replacing it solely because its a notoriously bad boiler, or because the fault I've described sounds irrepairable?!

Cheers for the help so far gents
 Alert Moderators
Agile

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote

Its an old and an unreliable boiler in respect of leaks.

We do not attempt repairs on that model when its leaking because to do so and offer any guaranty we would have to replace 150 of parts and spend 3 hours.

I dont consider its worth spending any significant sum on an old and unreliable boiler like yours.

Now you tell us that you are renting then this question is for the Landlord as he will have to pay.

I am sure some sharky boiler repairer will be happy to rip off your landlord and charge him 300-400 to fix it for a few days.

Your landlord will probably prefer to spend this amount of money because he is mean rather than spending 1400 on a nice new condensing boiler. He can easily spend 300 a year on your old boiler.

Tony Glazier
 Alert Moderators
Slugbabydotcom

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:52 am Reply with quote

If it is an SD 623 there will be a lever for the summer/winter setting.
To the left there is a button which you have to press and hold to let the pilot gas through. Earlier versions I think had an ignitor button that you need to click a few times to light the pilot. Once the pilot is lit, hold the big button in for at least 20 seconds then slowly let go of it.

Quote:
I don't really want to tell my landlord its knackered again!

Its not your fault its gone wrong. Telling the landlord the bad news is a dirty job but someones gotta do it. Otherwise you will be cold until you pluck up the courage.
 Alert Moderators
weareleeds

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:34 pm Reply with quote

Very common for the reversing valve to leak not worth repairing
 Alert Moderators
Agile

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:50 pm Reply with quote

I do not normally work on that model because its too problematic with its leaks!

Perhaps I have forgotten Slug, but I can only remember an electronic pilot ignition by pushing the white square button beside the red one which kills the pilot. There is a lovely arrangement of moving bits inside in a clear glass case at the back of those buttons. Pity the rest of the boiler is so aweful !

Tony
 Alert Moderators
Gasguru

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote

Replace pump (150.00), reversing valve (80.00), hose set (25.00), arch kit (15.00) +1/2 days labour.

Tenants deposit should cover it - after all they screwed it up. icon_lol.gif

Currently have a customer with BG cover on a Theilia 623 - taken them over 5 months to repair the leaks - they keep trying to condem the thing to make that huge profit on a replacement boiler.
 Alert Moderators
eplanet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote

hi
can you help ?
i want to search for learning repair combi boiler. can you help me for find pdf or movies or any document ?
thaks
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: