Trimming Venetian Blind slats?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I`ve just bought some venetian blinds for my bay window as it appears to be too difficult to get curtains in and for them to look well. So blinds it had to be.

The main window is 260cm wide while the side windows are around 45 -50 cm. So I`ve bought two 60cm blinds for the side windows and two of 135 or 140cm. Actually I've bought 2 sets (1 dark and 1 light) from ikea but there too short (155cm drop) and a set of dark from dunelm with a 160 cm drop.

So I'm going to use the set from dunelm, as they appear to be of better quality than the ikea ones, and due to the 160 cm fitting perfectly (155cm too short) they are cheaper than the ikea 250cm drop blinds.

So my problem is with cutting the blinds, B&Q have told me that they did have a machine but the company has pulled out of the UK!. I am reluctant to saw these individually so that leaves gathering them together, maybe in a G clamp or a workbench and sawing through them in bulk. Maybe I should use a hacksaw or a tenon saw.

Maybe I can get a blind fitting shop to cut them down for me, maybe you`ve done this yourself or know somebody who has. So do shops do this how much etc.

So I hope somebody will respond which will give me a better idea of what to do.

Thanks

Vertical

Sponsored Links
When i did mine i closed them up and taped them very well together at the ends with masking tape and marked the line to be cut on the tape. then cut with an hacksaw. To adjust for the drop i put them up in my garage to work on. It was a lot easier to do this way then to do on the floor. Mine are from Dunelm and im happy with the look. Hope this helps

Hey Thanks ipjodan.

I'm just of to a blind shop to see what they say and I'll take it from there.

With yours how thick did it end up up with all the slats?

What type of saw did you use? Well blade in the hacksaw?

How smooth was the cut?

Did you need to sand them afterwards? (the edge that is)

Did the tape hold them firm whilst you cut them?

Did the tape mark the wood?

Sorry about all the questions!

Thanks

Vertical

vertical fool said:
With yours how thick did it end up up with all the slats?
Not sure what you mean
What type of saw did you use? Well blade in the hacksaw?
Yes, get a brand new blade with more teeth the better
How smooth was the cut?
Very good
Did you need to sand them afterwards? (the edge that is)
Yes, very lightly with wet/dry paper
Did the tape hold them firm whilst you cut them?
Yes, use masking tape for this
Did the tape mark the wood?
No.
Sorry about all the questions!
No. problem, hope you didn't mind me butting in although ipjodan may have done it slightly difference! ;)

Having said this, my blind was wooden, if it's a metal slats then best to get it done, also you have to look at the head to see if you can cut it back where you want it without hitting the pulley.

Sponsored Links
Thanks masona.

When I said how thick was it, I meant the dimensions of all the slats together, sort of a modular block of wood.

Anyway the blind shop wouldn`t cut down my blinds so I`m not paying there quote of around £320.

So I'm plucking the courage up or motivation to tape it up and use the hacksaw.

Oh, by the way how long did it take you to sand the edges of each blind?

Thanks

Vertical

vertical fool said:
Oh, by the way how long did it take you to sand the edges of each blind?
That would depend on how good you are with a hacksaw. ;) I've seen some people ragging at a cut with a hacksaw so the finished cut looks like a dog's chewed it. :rolleyes:

Any recommendations on which way to cut then, i.e through each slat or through every slat. If you know what I mean!

Vertical

Thanks but I don't have a bench saw. I think I would be worried about the ferocity of it if I did but I've never used one so I wouldn't know.

I think I'm sticking with the hacksaw and will have a go tomorrow. I've just being looking at screwfix for their range of saws. I was looking to see if a tenon saw would be better because of its stiffness and what type of blades to use in a hacksaw.

I was thinking that the more teeth the smoother the cut, earlier I bought a HSS 24tpi blade (2 in pack) rather than ordinary blades with 2 24tpi and 3 18 tpi blades. After looking on the screwfix website they seem to suggest that nearly all there hacksaws blades are more applicable to metal. There coping saws seems to be what they imply should be used for wood.

What do think about hacksaw blades?

Might be easier to use a mitre block, just take your time when cutting

images
p1128245_l.jpg

I've thought about a mitre saw but mines a bit rickety, also I'd have to do the cuts in smaller sections which would be closely attached to each other so a bit fiddly. I do like the look of the blade on the mitre saw though and was thinking about using it as a hacksaw but I think the saw is a bit unstable.

So I'm still going to use the hacksaw, I think with the HSS 24tpi blade unless anyway on here causes me to change my mind!

Hopefully I'll get round to it tonight if I get the time although it might end up as the weekend!

Thanks

Vertical

for mounting within the window recess? How much shorter than the recess would you trim them? Width wise.

Thanks

Vertical

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back