Mounting of new Cooker control unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Am in the process of a new kitchen layout, and need some advice. The new layout has a bank of full height units against one wall up to a doorway. The Oven housing will be the one nearest the doorway. As these are full height units, its not possible to have the Cooker Control Switch on the back wall near the oven above the worktop as normal.

My question is this - is it ok to flush mount the cooker control unit into the end panel of the kitchen units, as if it were a stud wall?

Internally, the plastic box would be in a different \\\"compartment\\\" to the actual oven so theres plenty of space to do this without it touching the oven or being in the way of the ventaliation, just want to know if its ok to do so?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Good question i am in a similar position.

I want to wall mount the cooker isolator in the back of an adjacent cupboard.

Electrical accessories must be mounted to the fabric of the building. However, there are so many instances where this is unavoidable. For example checkouts, where the furniture is fixed in place to the floor and sockets installed within the furniture for the tills and scales and lights etc. ;) So I cant see a problem with fitting the socket as you describe. Though i'd try to ensure no little fingers could enter the back of the socket from the cupboard . . . :rolleyes:

PS im not qualified.

And all isolators must be readily accessible and within 2 metres of the item they control. In the back fo a cupboard is not classed as readily accessible. :evil:

Crafty said:
Electrical accessories must be mounted to the fabric of the building. However, there are so many instances where this is unavoidable. For example checkouts, where the furniture is fixed in place to the floor and sockets installed within the furniture for the tills and scales and lights etc. ;) So I cant see a problem with fitting the socket as you describe. Though i'd try to ensure no little fingers could enter the back of the socket from the cupboard . . . :rolleyes:

I thought this also, from having seen shop fittings where the sockets are flush installed into the slotboard - which is just metaline coated MDF! however, bit of difference with a 350watt TV and a 7.6kw oven!

With the oven housings being built to withstand the heat of the applicance, I thought would be ok to do this as long as using flush stud-wall fittings. The rear of the box and cabling would not be accessible from inside the unit anyway, as the units have false sides/backs inside, to allow you to run ducting / cabling inside without it being on view - also theres ventilation ducks at the rear of the units top-to-bottom for any installed appliances, so plenty of area to hide the installation!

Just wanted to double-check with any resident sparkies if this was ok, i.e if they would do the same in this situation.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back