Control Unit Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is it OK to locate the control unit for the electric cooker inside a cupboard (base unit)next to the cooker, or in the larder beside it? or must it be clearly visible?

Thx :confused:

Sponsored Links
SimonV said:
Hi,

Is it OK to locate the control unit for the electric cooker inside a cupboard (base unit)next to the cooker, or in the larder beside it? or must it be clearly visible?

Thx :confused:

Must be clearly visible, it is an isolator for fixed equipemtn and must be clearly identifiable.

thanks for the reply, pity :( but understandable - I should've asked about distance from the appliance? (sorry) are there any regs? either side of the cooker there are single 400mm bases units (left & right) so will i be safe to place the control unit above one of these? and the terminal outlet box behind and below the applaince? btw good how to artciles in this site, sorry for these additional queries.

thx :)

The Isolator must be within 2 meters of the appliance.

It will be safe to site the isolator above one of the units you mentioned, and yes, the siting of the connection plate at low level behind the appliance is not only acceptable, but preferencial to any other location.

Rememeber, NEVER run cables at angles across a wall. Go straight down from the Isolator, Under the floor if possible and back up at the right point, or to a point level with the height of the connection unit and running horizontally along the wall.

As this cable will be behind units, and not visible, it would be a good idea to mark the wall with a warning about the buried cable, this helps to prevent a pleb putting a screw or nail through it at a later date! :D

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
The Isolator must be within 2 meters of the appliance.
Is that just for cookers, or any appliance?

Only I'm thinking of the grid module switches you can buy which are engraved "Fridge", "Freezer", "Dishwasher" etc etc. I've always thought the intention of those was to have a single plate where all these appliances could be isolated, but it'd be difficult to have them all within 2m.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back