Cooker control box

bjm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can the 'big red swith' (control unit) for an electric cooker be positioned in a nearby cupboard, or does it have to be on show near the cooker?

Sponsored Links
On show near the cooker (but not behind or above) so that it can be accessed in the event of a problem.

Think about emergengy isolation if the cooker should ever catch fire.

Back of a cupboard behind all your junk is not going to be all that easy to get to quickly, especially if the person using the kitchen doesn't know which cupboard to empty.

Is there a regulation i can quote for this to a smart a**e kitchen designer i know :)

Sponsored Links
Regulation 537-04-04 in BS7671

"The operating means (such as a handle or pushbutton) for a device for emergency switching shall be clearly identifiable and preferably coloured red. It shall be installed in a readily accessible position where the hazard may occour and, where apropriate, further devices shall be provided where additional emergency switching may be needed."

(I only have my yellow regs to hand, can someone confirm this is the same reg number in the brown regs)

Just had a look, yes it's the same. page 110 Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back