No Cooker control Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I moved into my house a few months ago (its rented) and I needed to buy an electric cooker as my old house used gas.

Its taken me months to save up for but I have finally got one and now just need to wire it in. However a friend who came to look at the cooker just pointed out to me that I don't have a cooker control unit (you know the big red switch thingy) anywhere. Although there is a connection point ready for wiring the cooker in.

As far as I know the house was newly rewired in November 2005 as there is a certificate in the electric cupboard near the consumer unit saying that the electric was inspected on that date and all the plugs, wiring and light fittings look new.

I am wondering - is it a legal requirement to have a cooker control unit? Is it safe for me to have the cooker wired in (connected) without one?

Do I have recourse to require my Landlord to provide a cooker control unit if the only type of cooker I can use is an Electric one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I know very little about electricity and am disabled with very little money and am worried about the safety aspects and the possible money involved, should I be the one who has to pay to get things fixed.

Sincerely
Venice

Sponsored Links
You must have a cooker control unit.

Check in the cupboards near the cooker, as some folk sometimes hide them in there. This however is not a good setup as the switch must be readily accessible to isolate the cooker, should you ever have need to do so in an emergency.

If you can't find one then get on at the landlord to get one fitted.

You say there is a connection point, please describe it to us.

Is the certificate a piece of paper with interesting details on it; or is it a stick on label (possibly red) saying " This installation should be periodically inspected (etc) .......... Date of last inspection (date 2005). Recomended date of next inspection (date 2015)

Also, if you look at the consumer unit, it will have things like switches marked (e.g.) B6, B6, B15, B32, B40. these are MCBs (Circuit Breakers) and the number indicates the number of Amps each will safely take.

Can you let us know what you have there? With a bit of luck they will have labels above or below each MCB, saying things like "Upstairs lights" "Downstairs Sockets" "Shower" "Cooker" - please let us know what label is by what rated MCB.

Ta.

edited - RF is probably right - and modern cooker switches need not be as big as they used to be, especially if they have no socket mounted on them - it might be the same size as a light switch plate, but with a bigger switch on it. It ought really to be labelled and within ?2 metres? of the cooker.

Ok - thanks for your help.

I have checked all cupboards and even had my son pull out the washer - there is no cooker control unit.

The conection point is about a 1 1/2 ft from the floor on the wall in the middle of the space where the cooker is meant to go - it just has a faceplate attached by two screws. I was told by the landlord when I moved in that this was the connection point for the cooker.

On the consumer unit is a red sticker stating:
Date of last Inspection 7/11/05
Reccomended date of next inspection: 7/11/15

There is also an a4 size laminated sheet titled: Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate - it gives circuit details and test results and is full of handwritten info I don't understand.

The consumer unit is an EMMA - BSEN 60439-3
There are 4 switches labeled 1 to 4 and a main switch with a button next to it.
Switch 1 - Lights - 7106B - B6
Switch 2 - Lights - 7106B - B6
Switch 3 - Sockets - 7116B - B16
Switch 4 - Cooker - 7132B - B32

Main Switch says Total load not to exceed 100A

Hope this is the info you were after.

Sponsored Links
Well, it's encouaging that you've got a dedicated cooker circuit. I hope the connection plate is fairly thick-looking, with a bit of a bulge at the bottom where cables can be fed in - something like this
p2843919_l.jpg

But it's very odd there's no switch.

How far is the consumer unit from the cooker outlet plate?

It's also extremely odd that the sockets are on a 16Amp circuit. Socket rings are usually 32Amp. I wonder if the wiring was done on the cheap? Is it quite a small flat with not many sockets?

Hi again John

Yes the connection plate is very thick and sturdy looking - not exactly like the picture you show but similar and it definitely has a place at the bottom where the cable feeds in.

What I would really like to know from a qualified electrician (or someone who is sure) is:

a) Is it a legal requirement to have a cooker control unit?
b) If not - is it safe for me to connect my cooker and use it?

I intend to go see my landlord tomorow about this but want to be sure of my facts first, as I dont want to hire an electrition to come connect my cooker only to have him tell me he can't do it because the is no control unit and then charge me a call out fee for the privelidge, if you see what I mean.

thanks
Venice

Oop sorry - forgot to add. THe connection point is on the rear wall (in kitchen) of my 2up 2down terrace, and the consumer unit is on the front wall (in living room) of the property - probably about 40-50ft or so away from each other

BTW - There are 4 sockets in the living room, 5 in the kitchen, 4 in the main bedroom and 4 in the small back bedroom and one socket at the top of the stairs.

Done on the cheap - wouldn't surprise me in the least! my landlord put the house up for sale 7 days after I moved in!

Thats why Im after some ammunition when I go see him, as I don't expect he will be very helpfull.

Yes, it is part of the regs that you have an isolation switch for hob/oven/cooker.

It has to be easy to reach and within 2 (or is it 2.5m) of the appliance.

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm a lot clearer now, and I will go see my landlord and see what he has to say. Fingers crossed!

You've all been really helpful - thanks again.

Venice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back