skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a house recently.Some if the walls need new plaster.I was thinking to have all the house skimmed.Someone has mentoined ,if skimmed and wall papered,in future if paper is taken off by steamer,all skimming can come off.Is it true.If so,what s solution.Can one apply good coat of PVA before skimming.Would it help.

Sponsored Links
If you hold the steamer on too long this does tend to happen. When a plasterer skims he normally use's PVA before he starts anyway...

Are you just having them skimmed or boarded first mate?

Make sure the old plaster is basically sound & still adhering to the blockwork first; there’s no point in skimming over blown plaster! I've had to remove the lot right back to the blockwork on 70% of the walls in my 60's house before re-plastering. Score washable or silk emulsion with a wire brush first & I use one coat of 3:1 PVA drying overnight & then one 6:1 coat just before the plaster goes on.

contractor said:
If you hold the steamer on too long this does tend to happen. When a plasterer skims he normally use's PVA before he starts anyway...

Are you just having them skimmed or boarded first mate?
Thinking to have skimmed over old plaster.Apart from main hallway where old plaster is going to be removed completely,i have all the ceilings taken off and new boarding and skimming is taking place.A foot down the ceiling thinking to remove the plaster because it has come off places by removing the ceilings.Most of the plaster sounds ok.Before skimming how many couts of PVA should be applied,when and what part.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back