Removing a radiator permanently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am trying to remove my kitchen radiator permanently. I have the two pipes going into it at either end but the same pipes also supply my lounge radiator (pipes go through the wall).

I realise that the easiest way to do it is to cut off the supply to this radiator by using the valves.

I have turned both valves off (as far clockwise as I can possibly turn them), however when I start to undo the nuts between the valves and the radiator the water comes out (this I expected) - what I did not expect was to be there for a VERY long time collecting what seems to be a reservoir!!!!

When the nuts between the valves and the radiator are loose, I can see that this is how the radiator comes off. The problem is that the water flow is continuing, which I presume means that the valves are not closing/cutting off the supply enough. So if I proceeded to take the valves away from the radiator then the water flow is a river!!!!

I have given up now and am trying to seek more advice on which is the best way to proceed. If I turn off the water for the heating and remove the radiator, then I am worried that when I turn it back on then the reservoir will be back!!!

Help!!! ???

Hayley (aka Marge Simpson)

Sponsored Links
marge get a bloke in to f ekk it all up for you. cos . a reservoir is in the eye of the beholder. and river, etc

You should have turned the valves off the depending on your system look in the faqs to drain down.
Remove said rad with water inside and cap off tails add inhibitor and fill the system.
Yes rads hold alot more water than you would think.
Pete

The valves are already turned off completely - wont turn anymore. But If I remove the radiator then the water will still spurt out. Not sure now whether I need to drain my whole heating system and then cut the pipes instead and cap them off.

It shouldnt still be pouring out the water - I have emptied at least 6 big casserole dishes of water from each side so far.

I spoke to my dad who is in the trade (but lives a long way from me), and he said to get someone in to do it as I have done all that I can do. Obviously a more difficult thing to do. But he doesnt realise that I do all the diy and am capable of doing it. I have fixed leaking pipes too (after I hammered a nail into it!!!)

So that's why I need some advice on how to do it, and which way to go now, and then I can work out whether it is beyond my capabilities.

Sponsored Links
What type of system do u have sealed or open vented?
You could always ask Homer to do it for you or even Lisa as she is the one with brains. :D
Pete

I have no idea what type of system it is. How do I find that out???

Can't ask Homer as I threw him out for being a lazy fat slob, and leaving me to do all of the DIY.

Do you have a combi boiler or do you have a boiler with a 2 tanks in the loft?
Pete

I have a back boiler behind gas fire. Dont have a combi boiler. I have a very large grey tank in the airing cupboard.

Sounds like you have an open vented system then.
There should be a small plastic tank in the loft which feeds the heating circuit.
Turn the supply off to this.
Close all rads and find your drain valve usually on lowest point of system and attach a hose to drain system down.
Whan all the pipework has drained take off the rad and cap off with suitable fittings, not push fit.
The add some inhibitor to your small plastic tank in the loft and turn the supply back on.
Check for leaks open all the rad vlaves and bleed system downstairs first, if you have 2 floors of course.
Pete

ha ha.

You said the drain valve would be on the lowest point of the system. Do you mean on one of the downstairs rads or on the lowest point of my grey boiler or on the tank in loft?

Usually on the lowest radiator hopefully near an external door so u can let the water flow o/s.
The magnetite (black stuff) that comes out of the pipes/rads can stain very badly if u have carpets beware.
p

You are looking for a drain valve which is lower than the point you want to open (in your case, the radiator valves). As all the pipes rae connected together it does not much matter where it is. Turn off all the other radiators at both ends to avoid draining them.

Be sure to turn off the boiler and pump so it does not try to run when dry.

You have to ties up the ball valve in the Feed and Expansion tank in the loft, otherwise it will be filling up the system as fast as you are trying to drain it.

Does the water you drain out seem black and full of sediment?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back