Rattling sound from Grundfos Alpha+

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Background:
A month and a half ago my Glow-worm boiler made that banging sound and cut out like described so many times on this site, using previous comments here I determined it was my pump that had packed in. I removed it from the system (thank god for those valves above and below the pump) and determined that it was indeed seized up as much as a pump could possible seize. Off to plumb centre I went and picked up a shiny new Grundfos Alpha + 15/60 pump. I installed it and restarted the system (the instruction manual said the pump is self-venting so I didn't vent it).
Sure enough everything started up fine and the central heating and hot water became fully operational again, yay!

The problem:
Ever since I did this, the pump emits a rattling sound once it heats up / is heated up. This is rather loud and very annoying. I'm pretty sure it's not trapped air or anything like that and my only though is that it could be a duff bearing, does this sound likely?
The sound changes if I place the pump at variable speed at the "dot", but I don't think it works as well then, I get a lot of expansion and contraction in the pipes if I do this.

I have an mp3 of the sound but nowhere to post it to, I could email it to anyone interested I guess :)

Second question:
What is the pipe in the background here, the one with the red valve on it:
385620739_9205b3a4b8.jpg
385620738_6abc16ebf9.jpg

Third question:
How do I determine a good setting for the pump speed and boiler setting, am wasting a lot of energy if I put the boiler to 5 and pump to full power? I could only assume this causes the house to heat up to the desired temperature quicker...

Hopefully someone can help...[/img]

Sponsored Links
Oh yeah, and I drained the upstairs today to replace a dodgy radiator valve, and once I refilled it and bled the entire system the pump still rattled :(

are you sure its not one of the pump valves that is rattling?

Difficult to tell, tried the screwdriver test but the sound seems to come just as well from the pump as from the valves, probably too close to determine with a screwdriver....

How would you suggest I test it?

Sponsored Links
turn the valve until the noise stops.....if its doesnt it might not be the valve.

now put the alpha onto variable or you have wasted your money.

Indeed I have done. The Grundfos manual says that if I have a bypass valve I need to set it at the setting I've put it in in the picture in my first post... I *think* I have a bypass valve at least... :-s

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back