T/Bendix W/machine wont agitate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i hope some one may be able to help?

I have a tricity bendix 851 washining machine that wont agitate once i have loaded it. I have checked out the brushes and they are ok. The machine spins under no load conditions.
Any ideas??? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You say it spins under no load conditions. Does that mean it won't spin when there is wet washing in it? If this is the case it is almost certainly a faulty motor. If you know somewhere that sells reconditioned machines you may be able to get a secondhand motor.

The machine starts its cycle (Fill) then once the wash cycle starts, the drum will not turn a full revolution, as if the motor does not have enough power? or the belt is slipping?

Do belts slip?

No, belts generally only slip if the drum is severely overloaded, in which case the motor pulley quickly burns through the belt. I think it's a motor fault.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Just been to the machine (garage loaction), tried to spin the wet load in the machine. No luck. I have checked the filter and found a couple of coins!!! i removed these and then set the machine to drain....then i removed the filter again to find it full of water, the water level is to thread height of the plug. Is this usual?? i have to admit that i have not serviced the filter very regulary.

if all else fails it is off with the motor!

Thanks

If you try putting it back on spin now you have had the filter bung out you will eliminate the possibility that there is too much water for it to spin. I don't think this is the case anyway as it would still agitate. You do usually get some water, perhaps half a pint, come out when you open the filter.

i have tried to spin the washer with a wet load and without a load. No luck!

The non-loaded drum did eventually spin with some help from me, spinning the drum from the rear inspection cover, but the speed control was unusal. I will take the motor (and i think integeral speed control unit) off. I will get this tested and let you know!

Thanks once agian

I have had the motor bench tested by a electrician at work and local repair man, no faults were found on the brushes, no earth leakage (grounding) reported on the motor and both windings appear to be intack, tacho on the rear of motor seems to be intact and pulsing?!?!?!?! but my electrician did not run the motor with power because he did not want to damage it (incorrect voltage etc)

Local repairman said re-fit and test on a spin cycle - no belt to drum connected, the motor runs but is quite erratic and eventually runs at full speed. I then tried to brake the motor with a piece of wood. The motor just keep running. Thus i am stuck again.........Local repairman thinks it the motor......but he could not find anything wrong but thinks he may have a spare motor for me to try! and buy!!!!

If any one can help i would appreciate the help, baby and wife producing washing at a alarming rate!

Thanks in advance

The fault is too subtle to detect using multimeters etc. What happens is the motor armature (the bit that turns) overheats at some point and some of the lacquer that insulates the copper windings melts so the windings touch. This is known as shorted turns and it means the motor produces less torque at low revs and can't turn a drum full of washing. Get the secondhand motor and fit it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back