DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Vauxhall Vivaro 1.9TD cutting out fault

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
JACKC

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote

Does anyone know of anything I could look at for this fault.
when driving and dip clutch to change gear when approaching a junction the engine does not idle but cuts out, the first light to light is the glo plug lamp. Usually worse when cold but not only when cold. Happens if you dip clutch to see if faulty when coming up to a junction. This gives me time to jump start as normally very hard to start when cut out. Havn't a clue what to do.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
libby lou lou

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote

When was the fuel filter last changed, just a thought. did YOU do it yourself? (starting at the bottom) what year?
 Alert Moderators
JACKC

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:53 pm Reply with quote

Its a 52 plate with 160k on clock, came from a local firm who had it serviced by good friend of mine, full service history from him since new. He is checking his records but assures me all filters replaced as recommended. Is it worth just changing this to rule out?
 Alert Moderators
JACKC

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote

Its a 52 plate with 160k on clock, came from a local firm who had it serviced by good friend of mine, full service history from him since new. He is checking his records but assures me all filters replaced as recommended. Is it worth just changing this to rule out?
 Alert Moderators
libby lou lou

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:32 pm Reply with quote

sorry to stop you there JC, but what you really need to do is go and see your good friend, if he has serviced it all it's life, nobody knows the vehicle better, maybe the driver, i imagine he would have a good idea of the way things are on the van. ie, has this happened on other vehicles?
 Alert Moderators
JACKC

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote

already booked in, thanks for all the replies, apparently its not happened to this van before and he hasn't heard of any common probs like this
 Alert Moderators
tekkiesteve

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote

Sounds like mass air flow sensor.
 Alert Moderators
JACKC

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:24 pm Reply with quote

thanks for that, will pass on to my mechanic.
 Alert Moderators
robcalvert

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote

I had same problem with mine. Eventually discovered it was flywheel/speed sensor that was contaminated with oil, took out and cleaned with carb cleaner, drives fine now. It's located at the front right at the bottom of engine/gearbox with 10mm bolt.
 Alert Moderators
JACKC

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote

Thanks, will give that a go. hasn,t done it for ages and then yesterday reared its ugly head again. Mass air flow sensor still not replaced as fault went away. Will try your suggestion first as seems easier than a replacement part. Thanks again for taking trouble to reply to such an old post. Will let you know.
 Alert Moderators
robcalvert

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:25 pm Reply with quote

spoke too soon - did it again yesterday but this time the connectors inside the black plastic plug that pushes onto sensor were loose-has had new gearbox in before I bought van so could have been disturbed then. Might be worth checking them when you take sensor out. This may have been the fault in the first place. I'm hoping it's cured now - can be very frustrating - will see what happens.
 Alert Moderators
Francisd

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:04 pm Reply with quote

Iíve had something similar but was not as bad. On cutting back the throttle after a long full-throttle uphill drag, the gloplug alarm light came on and the power was severely limited. A 10 minute stop to let everything cool a bit let everything re-set and it went away fine. Itís done it a couple of times since, but easing the throttle back gently, rather than a sudden cut back, seems to stop it happening again. I asked the dealer at the next service and the mechanic reckoned the Low Pressure Fuel Pump at the tank was on its way out, he also found metal fragments when he changed the fuel filter. Iím fitting some seats to the back so I need to drop the tank anyway so Iíll probably change the LP pump while the tankís down. Does anyone have any drawings or information on how to drop the tank? I used to rely pretty heavily on the likes of Hayneís manuals with my other vehicles but Iíve not seen anything similar for a Vivaro, If anyone knows where I can get hold of the Technical Literature for the Vivaro it would help me out a lot.
 Alert Moderators
JACKC

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote

My mechanic went down the road of LP pump when he had a look, but didn,t fee convinced enough with his diagnosis to risk the work. Funny you mentioned the glow plug as this is the first indication of what is about to happen, as soon as clutch dipped, light n and you have a second to re-engage and keep revs up. Havn't tried fywheel sensor yet as been on nights.
 Alert Moderators
Francisd

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:49 pm Reply with quote

Thatís a poser. Do I change the pump or not while Iíve got the tank down?
 Alert Moderators
robcalvert

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote

Doesn't seem to have worked unfortunately , started playing up again. Damn thing's doing my head in now. Vauxhall didnt seem to know either , even diagnostic machine not forced to pick up the fault unless it does it when testing they said. Might change van if can't find problem soon but not giving up just yet !
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > General Cars All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: