Boiler in a cupboard in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bathroom ZONE 2.

I'm replacing a boiler which is not currently in a cupboard.

It doesn't need venting.
Any advice on the cupboard?
If I use a kitchen/bathroom type cabinet, I assume the door would have to be screwed shut. ??
Would the FCU go inside the cupboard or outside the room?

Is that OK??

I'll get a Part P man to do the necessary.

Sponsored Links
Read the instructions about the amount of space required for access to service the boiler. Then add a bit

If you screw the front shut how will you get to the controls on the boiler. Like the ON / OFF switch?

The cupboard will need good ventilation other wise it will get very hot in there and that will not be good for the boiler. ( the control board will be more prone to failure when in a hot cupboard )

Put a pouch in the cupboard for all the documents and instructions for the boiler maintainance.

Be ware that in a steamy bathroom there will be consensation dripping from the cold water pipes going to the boiler.

Should have made it clear - I'm a corgi, I can handle the plumbing aspects. Many boilers don't need space around them these days. For maintenance, you just make the cupboard easy to unscrew/unhook.

Plenty of boilers go into lofts, you don't need access. The filling loop can go anywhere.

Sponsored Links
If you are Corgi, you should be familiar with regs on mounting boilers in bathrooms. Most importantly, the manufacturer should be consulted regarding the site of the boiler to check that the product is suitable. Have you rung them?

I feel like I'm not getting through....

There are NO gas safety issues in relation to putting a modern boiler in a bathroom.
Boiler manufacturers refer installers to IEE regs and the like, which I'm not familiar with on this point.

If there is some rule about how cupboards however defined, are treated in bathrooms, I don't know what it is, that's what I'm asking!!

I'm obviously NOT putting the boiler into any of the zones as specified by the dimensions alone.

" you should be familiar with regs " Really doesn't help, does it :rolleyes: ? - It's like me saying YOU should be familiar with "the regs" on installing electrical appliances like boilers in any situation. If it was covered by corgi/gas/manufacturer's regs/information, I'd have it to hand, wouldn't I. ;)

Electrically speaking I wouldn't have thought it mattered a lot whether it was an air con unit, a fridge, or whatever, without an IP rating.

You, having charged yourself as a professional to install equipment in customer's houses, should know what you are doing.

If you are not aware that they may be restrictions placed on the siting of the boiler, that does not bode well. All the boiler instructions I have read go into great detail about what locations are & are not suitable for their products. Many boilers are found in bathrooms, so you need to know whether the one you have chosen for this installation is suitable for mounting in a bathroom in the position it is.

And you have not answered my question - have you rung the manufacturer to check, and if not, why not?

ChrisR said:
I'll get a Part P man to do the necessary.

Has he surveyed the site & given you a quote?

ChrisR said:
I feel like I'm not getting through....

There are NO gas safety issues in relation to putting a modern boiler in a bathroom.

Oh so it shouldn't be necessary to use a CORGI to do the install then ?

Electrically speaking I wouldn't have thought it mattered a lot whether it was an air con unit, a fridge, or whatever, without an IP rating.

Where will the "local to boiler" isolation switch be fitted ? And what type of switch ? Of course it matters.

I understand . You don't know the answer.

All instructions, manufacturers and the rest, beyond the very simplest of constraints, say "See IEE Regulations".
Find me one M.I. which describes cupboards, whether they need locked doors, etc.
"See IEE Regulations", in effect, is what I'm doing here. I'm not doing anything before I FIND OUT.
I don't need some dork simply telling me I don't know what I'm doing.

Never mind, I'll go and look it up myself.

There are NO gas safety issues in relation to putting a modern boiler in a bathroom

Oh so it shouldn't be necessary to use a CORGI to do the install then ?
Same rules apply to that wherever it is. I'm asking about electrical aspects of cupboards - clearly not a gas safety issue.

Where will the "local to boiler" isolation switch be fitted ? And what type of switch ? Of course it matters.
That's what I'M asking YOU. First post, 6th line.

Chris i've looked at a few boiler manufacturers of those they all say the appliance can only be fitted to zone 3, as IP rating of boilers is generally IP20.Therefore if housed in a cupboard within zone 2 it effectively becomes zone 3 so imho perfectly acceptable.

ChrisR said:
That's what I'M asking YOU. First post, 6th line.

(( Would the FCU go inside the cupboard or outside the room? ))

Well it needs to be easy to get to should the customer want to turn the system off.

The FCU could be next to the controller / programmer to allow the customer to have easy access to it.

Then for the SAFETY of anyone working on the boiler it is a good idea to fit an additional ISOLATOR close to the boiler ( where it cannot be "accidently" turned on while the boiler is being worked on ).

Well it needs to be easy to get to should the customer want to turn the system off.

The FCU could be next to the controller / programmer to allow the customer to have easy access to it.

Then for the SAFETY of anyone working on the boiler it is a good idea to fit an additional ISOLATOR close to the boiler ( where it cannot be "accidently" turned on while the boiler is being worked on ).[/quote]

With all due respect Bernard that statement is a bit like teaching yer granny to suck eggs Chris is obviously a highly experienced plumber/heating engineer or have you not noticed his 11000 odd previous posts :rolleyes:

I am still absolutely f*cking gobsmacked that a Corgi-trained plumber (assuming you are) is coming onto a DIY forum to ask advice about fitting a boiler in a bathroom for commercial gain...

I am even more gobsmacked that you have still, despite several attempts at giving you advice, failed to contact the manufacturer's technical helpline to ask advice about your situation. They make the equipment, they know best about it.

Your drivel about all the manufacturers say about it is refer to IEE regs does not wash.

Evidenced by ts's quote:

Chris i've looked at a few boiler manufacturers of those they all say the appliance can only be fitted to zone 3, as IP rating of boilers is generally IP20

You may think I'm harsh. However, if you had bothered to ring the manufacturer, I would be looking at your posts in a more sympathetic light.

ChrisR said:
If there is some rule about how cupboards however defined, are treated in bathrooms, I don't know what it is, that's what I'm asking!!.

Yes there is. In order for the cupboard to effectively limit the extend of zones 1 & 2 two requirements must be satisfied.

1. The cupboard must prevent access to the boiler by a person who is anywhere in zone 1 or 2 even with the cupboard the door open.

Electrically speaking I wouldn't have thought it mattered a lot whether it was an air con unit, a fridge, or whatever, without an IP rating
2 Because the boiler case will almost certainly not not provide the minimum degree of protection required by 601-06-01 for equipment in zone 1 & 2 the cupboard with it's door closed must provide the required degree of protection to the boiler, generally IPX4

Taken from an article in the NIC connections mag, hope it helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back