Light switch on hinge side of door...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an integral garage which can be accessed via my hallway. When in the hall, facing the door the hinges are on the left and the door opens towards you into the hall. At the moment the light switch in the garage is on your right as you open the door. When a door opens towards you like this, would it be ok the have the switch on the hinge side? (all cables are clipped to the surface so it's an easy job) It's a long story why I am considering this, but I am curious to know how acceptable it is to have a switch on the hinge side of a door when the door doesn't open into the room with the switch. I hope this makes sense :confused:

Things like this keep me awake at night :LOL:

Cheers all

Sponsored Links
yes there is ( a reason)

because when the door is open you can't get to the switch or the door may open aand hit the switch.

but apart from that there is no reason why you can't

:idea:

put a micro switch on the door, so when the door opens the light comes on. then for a laugh write the following on the door

FRIDGE

:eek:

That was quick!

Breezer: The door opens out from the garage, the switch is inside the garage, so its not blocked. I keep looking at all the light switches I see, and they are all on the opening side, but my door doesn't open *into* the room with the switch, so I could reach it if it was on the hinge side. I am just curious whether it would be 'unconventional' or against any regs.

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
breezer, that would be a bit defeating surely. since its adjoining his house, the door will be fire rated and self closing. Hence once he lets the door go, it will shut and turn his light off. :LOL: Or was that part of the fridge gag? :rolleyes: :LOL:

Crafty said:
breezer, that would be a bit defeating surely. since its adjoining his house, the door will be fire rated and self closing. Hence once he lets the door go, it will shut and turn his light off. :LOL: Or was that part of the fridge gag? :rolleyes: :LOL:

It was, and stop calling me Shirley

Ah yes but who knows if the fridge light goes off when you shut the door.

Bit like Schrodingers Cat

the button is there to fool you into thinking that..
there is no proof that the door pushes the button when closed...
:D

ColJack said:
the button is there to fool you into thinking that..
there is no proof that the door pushes the button when closed...
on most fridges i've seen you see it go dark a good centimeter or so before the magnetic seal on the door closes.

and if the light stayed on it would be evident by the heat around it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back